How to be certain the water heater is filled after draining

Old 09-05-15, 02:59 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to be certain the water heater is filled after draining

AO Smith Energy Saver Gas Water Heater:

Drained it > Closed the heater drain valve (Cold water inlet pipe is closed at this point) > Open several hot water faucet in the house (and waited until water doesn't come out in the hot water faucet) > Fully opened the cold water inlet pipe valve that lets cold water into the water heater > Closed all the hot water faucets. Now at this point, is my gas water heater filled water? The warning on the manual is never operate the water heater w/o being certain it is filled with water. (I think as long as the cold water inlet is open, it should be filled to safe level within few minutes?) Can anyone clarify for me? Need to be certain before lighting up the pilot light. Thanks.

Old 09-05-15, 03:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 870 Upvotes on 761 Posts
Have you opened the hot water side of the faucets to see if water and no air comes out?

Old 09-05-15, 03:34 PM
B
Yes, only water comes out of the hot water faucets after turning on the cold water inlet into the water heater. I've lighted up the pilot and I'm getting hot water from the hot water faucets (water stream looks normal and there are no gurgling sound probably meaning no air. Have I done it right? I don't smell any gas nor do I see any leaks.

Another Question is is the pilot light suppose to stay on 24/7 on a gas water heater? I see it on when no hot water is coming out of the hot water faucet.

Old 09-05-15, 03:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,105 Upvotes on 3,687 Posts
I don't smell any gas nor do I see any leaks.
So far....so good

If you bought a water heater with a standing pilot then it's lit at all times.

Old 09-05-15, 04:04 PM
B
Yes, I think so. Perhaps after I jump in for a hot shower in about 15 min, I think I'll be more certain, Now, if there are any airs in the water heater or it isn't filled, should the surface of water heater become hot after I take a hot water shower? What kind of problem can happen if the water heater isn't filled with water or it has air in it?

Old 09-05-15, 05:32 PM
A
Received 288 Upvotes on 263 Posts
Before turning the water heater heat back on, open a hot faucet upstairs. Turn the water on and wait until water gushes out, and let it run for at least the length of time you normally have to wait for the water to get hot from that faucet.

Refilling a completely empty water heater can be expected to take around ten minutes.

Running the water heater with a lot of air inside will cause self destruction. Electric elements will burn out or the bottom of the tank of a gas heater will become warped and lead to quicker rust out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: