Can gas water heater be replaced with electric water heater

Old 09-07-15, 07:59 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can gas water heater be replaced with electric water heater

I have AO Smith Energy Saver gas water heater. max pressure 150 PSI and GAL 75. It was installed when house was built 12 years ago. Should I at this point be considering replacing it due to age? This is Gas water heater, but can it be replaced with electric water heater. (There is no electric outlet nearby in my small basement.) Whether I go gas or electric, do Lowe's or Home Depot make good place for buying the replacement and do they provide reliable labor to for taking away the old water heater and installing the new one? (Do they charge for hauling away the old water heater?) Or is it better to do through my local gas supplier company?

Old 09-07-15, 08:09 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
You can replace it with an electric water heater, if you want to pay an electrician to run the line. Personally, I would rather have gas.

I wouldn't want to use sub contractors from a big box store or the gas company. If they don't have their own labor, I would look for someone else. When you make the deal, make sure that they include the removal unless you want to scrap it yourself for whatever the scrap yard pays. Scrap took a big dive recently. I have a van & they only want to give me $250 when it was once double that.

Old 09-07-15, 08:47 AM
B
Then do you mean hiring independent plumbers/contractors? If you hire independent, won't they mark up the price of the replacement water heater?

Old 09-07-15, 02:18 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I didn't say that you should buy the water heater from them. I just don't like the idea of sub contractors.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: