Tankless hot water heater help please!

Old 10-30-15, 05:36 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tankless hot water heater help please!

I have a State tankless propane water heater model # GAX 199P. It was made around 2007 and I was told it was before State made their own heaters but don't know the manufacturer, though I know it's Japanese. Water heater worked fine since we bought the house 6 months ago though it seemed it would occasionally surge temperature down a little while taking a shower. The other day it just quit. With hot running in house it does nothing. No blower, no flame nothing. I know it is getting power to the control board because when I unplugged a line the red light came on. I took the filter out of the incoming line and it was clear. We have soft water and we don't have much problem with scale or corrosion with our water. It is making just a little heat but it seems to be from an electrical heater (maybe anti-freeze) in heat exchanger. I called State's tech line and was told it might be the flow sensor coming into the unit since the blower motor isn't even running but they weren't sure. Any suggestions or anything pointing me in a direction would be greatly appreciated. I cannot afford another water heater now and I think I can fix this one if I can figure out what's going on. Thank you so much forName:  water heater.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  51.9 KB

Old 10-30-15, 09:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,106 Upvotes on 3,687 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I found zero information based on your posted model number. Better double check it.

Old 10-31-15, 04:04 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks PJmax. Ya it's the correct model #. I couldn't find any info on the internet either. No manual. State's website will pull the model # up but doesn't have any info on it. When I called them the guy said his schematic was blurry so they must not have good info either lol. I was told by Coburn's that he thought that was when State first started putting them out and they were buying them from somebody else and putting their sticker on it. All of the writing and stamping on the interior of it is Japanese. Thank you for trying to help me. This is the cover:Name:  water heater2.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  50.9 KBName:  water heater2.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  50.9 KB

Old 10-31-15, 08:34 AM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
I was told by Coburn's that he thought that was when State first started putting them out and they were buying them from somebody else and putting their sticker on it. All of the writing and stamping on the interior of it is Japanese.
I cannot help with your problem, but just as a FYI, State Industries doesn't make water heaters at all, State is an AO Smith brand.

Old 10-31-15, 10:21 AM
C
Received 176 Upvotes on 144 Posts
Just as a wild flyer....you may want to look through some of the older tagaki manuals on their web site...based on the Made in Japan label... If it was made by tagaki, one of the old manuals may be close enough to be of some help.

Old 10-31-15, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Ao smith makes state heaters

Edit: oops I see joe already stated this...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: