8 Year Old AO Smith Gas Water Heater Not as 'Hot' this morning

Old 11-20-15, 06:48 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
8 Year Old AO Smith Gas Water Heater Not as 'Hot' this morning

Hi all

So I have my tank-style AO smith gas water heater st between the little arrow (recommended setting) and the 'A' setting (I forget what temp that is, but its pretty hot)

Usually, when Im in the shower, if I turn the valve 3/4 of the way to all the way hot, thats plenty hot for me. If I go beyond that, it gets uncomfortable (not quite to scalding, but pretty darn hot).

Today, I had to turn the shower valve all the way to hot, and it was 'ok'. Not quite as hot as what 3/4 used to be

Not quite sure what I need to do in terms of troubleshooting. Easiest thing would be to turn the temp up at the tank, but I dont want to do that until I determine whether there is, in fact, a problem...

I see some people talk about anodes... Maybe I should start googling that?

I've owned the house for two years. Havent drained the tank, no idea if previous owner has...

Old 11-20-15, 07:17 AM
S
one other detail: we soften the water. Not sure if that matters.

Old 11-20-15, 10:20 AM
P
Received 19 Upvotes on 18 Posts
Not sure if your shower habits have changed but I noticed on my AO Smith gas heater, if I don't use hot water for about 24 hours, the tank cools but not enough to kick in the burner. That first shower is usually cooler than the second (when the burner has already kicked in). The first shower after a weekend away is usually cooler than expected so I try to use some hot water somewhere in the house before that first shower after time away to get the burner cooking.

- Peter

Old 11-20-15, 10:32 AM
S
hmmm. Interesting hypothesis. The only thing is I am basing this off always taking the first shower in the morning. I mean I guess ambient temp in the basement could be a variable....

Old 11-21-15, 12:29 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
A tank-type water heater can easily lose 10 or even 20 degrees overnight without causing the burner to light and raise the temperature again. Add in that the incoming water (well or city) is usually significantly colder in the fall-winter months, which means you need less cold to temper the hot at the shower faucet, and it is quite common to have to turn up the faucet position to get the same temperature of water in the shower than you get during the summer months.

Back when I was still employed my routine was to run the water in the bathroom sink until lit got hot, do my toilet duty and then take my shower. Running the water long enough to get the burner to light and then the few minutes wait made all the difference in the world.

Old 11-21-15, 07:42 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 294 Upvotes on 269 Posts
Sometimes the water heater thermostat as it ages gets sluggish in turning the burner on. This has happened if on numerous occasions early in the morning you turn the knob up just a little and the burner kicks on and you turn the knob back to where it was and the burner stays on for 10 minutes or more.

Old 11-21-15, 12:02 PM
S
Given that I put a water softener in two years ago, is it recommended that I check the anode? May not be related to my hot water question.

The manual says to check every three years if softened. Any reason I shouldn't do it? Should I take the opportunity to drain and/or flush?

It's an ao smith gcv 40 200, gas fired

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: