Error Code on AO Smith FPSH 50 270E

Old 11-29-15, 08:05 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Error Code on AO Smith FPSH 50 270E

My 12 yr old hot water heater goes through a number of attempts to light the burner, sometimes it works and sometime it doesn't. This started happening a few weeks ago. The panel displays an error code that corresponds to:

(1st light and A&B)
ERROR CODE 6 - IGNITION / FLAME FAILURE

I've cleaned the sensor well, but the error continued. I went ahead and purchased a new glo-stick and flame sensor assembly to replace the old one. Unfortunately, this still has not resolved the issue.

Before I call a professional, is there anything else I should check that would cause this issue?

Old 11-30-15, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
It may be pressure switch related. The switch itself, a clogged tube into the fan assembley from the swith, or a weak fan..

The clogged tube to the switch is often caused by condensation build up over time and no condensate tube was installed.

The weak fan just happens over time and is magnifyed when the exhaust run is too long , too small, or too many ells.

You can check the switch with a continuity meter and make sure its operational.

Then if thats ok I remove the pvc vent from the fan assembly to see if it fires fine that way..

I run as test only!!!!! Exhaust CO can kill you, I only run to see if it will fire once or twice and shut down ASAP.

Then reconnect..

Some of the older units had a restrictor installed at the ellbow thats outside. This restrictor should be removed.. And may be part of the issue..

Fan assembly's and parts for that are expensive.. Its 12 years old so I am not sure the money spent is worth it... as the water heater is really past its lifespan..

$845 and free shipping to your door..

GPVL-40 - AO Smith GPVL-40 - 40 Gallon - 40,000 BTU ProMax Power Vent Residential Gas Water Heater (NG)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: