Brand new expansion tank with water inside?

Old 12-09-15, 08:55 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Brand new expansion tank with water inside?

Is it normal to have water inside a brand new expansion tank? I recently purchased a brand new tank from home depot. When I tried to test the air pressure inside with a gauge, there was a bit of water coming out. Is this normal ? or is the tank bad ? I was thinking that maybe someone switched an old tank and returned back to homedepot,but from the condition of the tank, it seems brand new.

Watts Potable Water Expansion Tank for 50 gal. Water Heaters-DET-12-M1-HD - The Home Depot

Old 12-10-15, 07:27 AM
A
Received 288 Upvotes on 263 Posts
After you install an expansion tank and use it even for a few minutes, it is possible for there to be water inside.

Water should not be coming out of the air valve; if that happens then the tank is bad or was mistreated.

Testing an expansion tank or a pressure tank for a broken bladder takes time. Best bet is to take it back to the store and exchange it.

Old 12-10-15, 02:15 PM
C
Well, the thing is I didn't even try installing the tank to my system yet. I just took it out of the box and try to test what is the pre charge pressure.when i plug the gauge to the air inlet valve, there was water coming out. Again, the tank looks brand new to me, so I don't know how and why there were water inside.

Old 12-11-15, 10:38 AM
A
Small amount of condensation. The tank is charged with air at the factory and air is wet (H2O). Perfectly normal. That's why you should always drain an air compressor tank after each use, to prevent corrosion /oxidization and why the drain plug is at the bottom of the tank.

Old 01-03-16, 03:16 PM
A
Received 288 Upvotes on 263 Posts
I would not expect one factory charge for the expansion tank to cause enough water to condense out to squirt you in the face.

Meanwhile an air compressor over the course of an afternoon will pump many tankfuls of air that could condense out an ounce or so of water.

Old 01-04-16, 09:38 AM
K
I just installed this exact tank today and didn't have any water come out. I checked the pressure and set the new pressure before installing the tank to my system. If the 3/4" threads don't look like they were crossed and the bladder holds pressure I would keep it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: