Rheem vs. A.O. Smith

Old 01-19-16, 08:16 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rheem vs. A.O. Smith

I was wondering if there are any opinions or comparisons between residential water heaters manufactured by Rheem vs. A. O. Smith.

The two models I am considering are similar on paper (both ~40-gal, similar heat input, FHR, etc.):

Rheem
Rheem Professional Classic Series: Ultra Low NOx Series

A.O. Smith
ProMax® Ultra-Low NOx 40-Gallon Gas Water Heater | A. O. Smith Water Heaters

If anyone has any opinions or resources related to quality or reliability of either of these models, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Old 01-20-16, 07:18 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
...vs Bradford White...?

Old 01-21-16, 07:55 AM
A
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Defineately would not recommend ao smith promax

We have a 9 year bad history with first a RHEEM which lasted only a year in our salon, then self distructed due to highly sensitive safety updates on all hot water tanks 2007, finding out too late that it was not supposed to be installed in a hair salon. 2008 Next up AO Smith Pro Max which started to shut off with in the next year even though it was power direct vented to the out side and recommended for use in a salon. And have been on pins and needles with a great deal of expense not to mention having to rely on a small 8 gallon back up old water heater when the big 40 gal goes down. At least once after new sensor igniter is installed maybe lasting 8 months then slowly starts requiring a cleaning the sensor maintenance every 4 and then 2 months etc till it stops and we have to replace the sensor and or the whole burning unit. The whole supposedly safety changes across the board for all hot water tanks in 2007 was complete overkill and has subjected all of us including the home units to unreliable yet expensive basic hot water. We feel the tank is now also seeing it's last days and are contemplating replacing with an electric tank knowing full well the higher expense to be expected but with a much better reliability record and some peace of mind finally. Does any one have any recommendations as to a better record for another manufacturer on the market today? I would appreciate it as it's new ground again. thankyou, Axcentrics Salon

Old 01-21-16, 09:10 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Banned for having an opinion?
Name:  ban.jpg
Views: 6900
Size:  10.9 KB

Old 01-21-16, 10:38 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,292 Upvotes on 1,229 Posts
If the member had been banned for having an opinion, the post would have been deleted.

Read the forum rules, re-read their post and let me know if you can figure out why I banned them

Old 01-21-16, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
I cant figure out why he was banned....

He is right that the 2007 era AO smith heaters had the corderite disk that cause air intake issues. Plus the new flammable vapor sensors tripped often just by mopping the floors with bleach.. Total lock out then and AO smith was not giving the gas valve button sequence to unlock it....

Especially that member was in a hair salon.. Any commercial install turns any heaters warranty to a 1 year parts and tank..

He was right to suggest a sealed combustion unit.. I have installed many, such as a chicken type restaurants.. The grease in the air would kill the basic heaters in 6 months time...

I would of removed his business name, archived it, and sent him a PM with a copy of the forum rules and policy's...

I guess its easier to just click one button and ban then to go through all that work....

And anyway a business name violation is only two point infraction...

His IP checks out OK...

I will delete this/my post in a few days...

Old 01-21-16, 07:13 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I agree with Mike, I see nothing in that post that should trigger banning. Using his/her company name in a non-advertising way does perhaps merit an infraction.

But what do I know, I'm not a moderator.

Old 01-21-16, 07:21 PM
Received 192 Upvotes on 172 Posts
I agree with Mike, I see nothing in that post that should trigger banning
Agree .........................

Old 01-22-16, 10:07 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,292 Upvotes on 1,229 Posts
The member was banned because of business name as screen name. While it is only a minor infraction (for those familiar with the infraction process) my opinion is that it is easier for the member to re-register with a new name than get their screen name changed and that was what they were invited to do.

Short version is their expressed opinion had nothing to do with it.

Old 01-22-16, 06:56 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Thank you for the explanation. This is what I don't like about the banning of members, there is rarely a reason given for the ban. By having the reason posted it might help others to avoid making the same mistake.

Old 01-22-16, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
my opinion is that it is easier for the member to re-register with a new name than get their screen name changed and that was what they were invited to do.
Actually FWIK you cant register again with the same IP.. I believe Tom is the one thats supposed to change thier name under the same log in... If proper infraction was given...

Maybe the rules were not read correctly... ( Not for member name used....)

Once Banned, regardless of the reason/issue, you cannot re-register and/or be accepted back onto the web site nor into the Forum Topics by using another name. Banning is done for rule and/or policy violations. Not for the person nor the member name used.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: