Leaky drain valve.

Old 02-20-16, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaky drain valve.

I'm pretty sure that the water that is appearing next to my water heater is from the drain valve leaking. Can anyone tell me what would be the next step? Is there a washer I can replace? What would the procedure be for that? Here's what it looks like. If it looks as though there is a lot of water on the floor that is because I opened the valve a bit and it sprayed out a bit. Name:  DSCN5972.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  21.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-16, 12:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 188 Votes on 175 Posts
Make absolutely certain that you have a leaking valve. It's unusual for a plastic drain valve to start leaking. You want to make sure that's the culprit before replacing the valve. You can also try opening and closing the valve a few times in case it's a piece of sediment caught in the seal making it leak.

If it is the valve I would replace it with a 1/4 turn ball valve. If you turn the water off to your house and open a faucet to bleed off the pressure. Then you can remove the plastic valve and quickly insert your new one without having to drain the tank. Some water will gurgle out but not a lot.

Old 02-20-16, 01:06 PM
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
No way would I try replacing the whole valve without all the water drained out first.
I've broken two of them off before.
A simple garden hose cap will seal it and cost less then $1.00.

Old 02-20-16, 03:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Where that water is I don't think it's the valve. Would see it dripping from end.

Old 02-20-16, 05:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 188 Votes on 175 Posts
Yea, you've gotta make certain it's the drain valve leaking. There is nothing to rust or corrode in a plastic valve and I've never seen one go bad. I'm betting your leak is somewhere else which unfortunately often requires replacing the heater.

Old 02-21-16, 05:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, looks as though it's the drain valve. I dried the floor and put a cup under under it and there is no water on the floor at all this morning. I guess for now I"ll get something to cap it and move one.

Thanks, all, for the replies.