Stinky H2O

Old 03-14-16, 05:57 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Stinky H2O

Hi All. Hoping for a bit of advice on how stop my hot water smelling bad.

I have a GSW natural gas hot water heater. (Model G640S31FV-06) So about 10 years old it seems by the model number.

I had been noticing the hot water emitting that nasty, sulpher-egg odor. Looking in to it I believed this to be a problem with an aging anode rod. Bacteria created with the water reacting with the magnesium - blah, blah, blah....

I drained some water from the tank and swapped the anode rod with a new one I picked up at HD. While it was open I poured in some hydrogen peroxide to kill the existing bacteria. (something that was recommended to me)

The old rod came out very pitted and corroded. So it did its job I guess....

OK....for a couple of days....Then a week later not only has the smell not gone away, but I think it's worse.

HD only offered one standard type of rod so no idea if this might be an issue.

I'm on city water in Toronto. Its known to be clean and safe (as much as city water can be I suppose). Normal levels of chlorine I'd imagine. I've never noticed signs of it being abnormally hard by way of deposits. My humidifier evaporators barely show any deposits on their yearly replacement.

So what do you think? Different material anode? Heater shot? Gremlins?

All advice welcome....

Old 03-14-16, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Read here and follow their advice...................

Solving rotten-egg odor in water heaters

Old 03-14-16, 06:32 PM
T
Thanks for the advice....I read the article.

My water never stands....It's a family home and my wife takes loooong showers regularly.

I've never noticed the smell in any other than the main bathroom sink....But this is the one you bend over and wash your face in....so I'll check that.

Beyond that, the only thing I haven't tried is a aluminum/zinc anode. Assuming the one I bought at HD is Magnesium.....So the question is, where do I get a 1-1/16" hex head aluminum/zinc anode? I'd be willing to give that a try.

Old 03-14-16, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Order it from the site or go to a plumbing supply house....

Old 03-14-16, 07:17 PM
T
Thank you! I didn't even think to check if they sold them...I'll do that....Before I do. Do you have any experience with these powered anodes? I'm curious....Could it eliminate possible metal related issues?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: