Tankless propane condensate drain

Old 03-28-16, 06:07 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tankless propane condensate drain

Hi-

I'm hoping to install a Rheem propane tankless (8.4 gpm high efficiency) water heater. I think I'm not supposed to drain the condensate directly into my sewer pipe, and am wondering if I can stick the end of my condensate drain in my laundry drain, thinking that soap neutralizes the condensate?

Or, should I plumb it directly to my sewer, but via a condensate neutralizer?

Or, "other" ?

Another potential problem is my condensate drain outlet is at the bottom of the water heater, which will be close to the floor of my crawlspace, and will be several feet lower than the laundry drain and/or sewer drain. I assume this is a problem, too. ?

Any other things I should consider? How would you do it, were it you?

Thanks so much for your time and thoughts.

-Alison

Old 03-29-16, 04:42 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,326 Upvotes on 2,068 Posts
I have never heard of "neutralizing" condensate. Generally it's a plumbing code issue that prevents you from discharging condensate directly into the sewer.

If your heater will be close to the floor you will probably need a condensate pump. It has a little tank to accumulate the water and when the tank is full the pump turns on to pump out the water. They can pump uphill and through long discharge hoses so you'll have a lot of flexibility where you discharge the water.

Old 04-01-16, 02:01 PM
A
Thank you for taking the time to give me this advice - I think you're right, that I'll need a pump. I'm thinking I need to neutralize both the condensate from my propane water heater and from my propane furnace...but I hope I'm wrong.

Old 04-01-16, 02:27 PM
A
You should consider some type of neutralizer. Three years of condensate pumped into my washer drain from my mod/con boiler ate right thru the metal pipe. In the process of formulating a plan. Temporary repair was to use pvc pipe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: