Need a small water heater

Old 03-31-16, 06:33 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need a small water heater

I live in a 2/2, 1100 sq. ft. condominium in S. FL and need a new water heater. My probable is that I need a small one to fit my closet below my A/C unit.

The current heater I have is almost 18 yrs old. The height 29Ē and width/circumference 21Ē. I really donít have much to play with when it comes to the height and definitely canít get anything wider than 21Ē.

I would like a good water heater that will last me another 20 yrs. Which brand should I be looking at? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Old 03-31-16, 07:07 AM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
Any water heater built after April 2015 will meet the new efficiency standards that require significantly more insulation so I doubt you can afford to be too picky on brands. The new standards mean the tank will be taller and wider for the same water capacity. You should probably start looking for any electric heater you can find that has the right physical dimensions and water capacity as your old one and when you find one, buy it!

Old 03-31-16, 07:27 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Recently, Home Depot stopped selling GE. They switched to Rheem. I asked them why & they told me that there were too many problems with GE. Secondly, I've seen many A O Smith problems listed in this forum.

Old 03-31-16, 07:47 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Not my profession, but what comes to mind is a tankless on demand water heater, they may fit your size needs. As to their other aspects, others will have to comment.

Bud

Old 03-31-16, 01:19 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Recently, Home Depot stopped selling GE. They switched to Rheem. I asked them why & they told me that there were too many problems with GE.
Uninformed employee. ALL "GE" water heaters sold at Home Depot were made by Rheem under license from GE. In other words, the only difference was the name on the heater itself and the box. If you happen to come across a water heater with the name Ruud it too is made by Rheem. Truth is, there are very few companies that make water heaters, maybe three or possibly four, although many, many different names.

Old 03-31-16, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
I would go with an AO smith.. Its all I install and use..

As far as dimensions and the unit in a closet I would say its an electric 40 Gallon correct?

Best you will do , is say, a 30 gallon thats 30" tall and 21 3/4 wide as shown on page 28 here.. Sometimes I have to remove the door or trim to get in in the closets..

ENLB - 30

http://www.hotwater.com/lit/catalogs/aosrb80000.pdf

If you scroll down on the link I show you will see other applications and other specialty heaters with different sizes..

The moble home units are the same dimensions but with side H/C ports instead of top ports..

There is a 20 gallon thats an EJCS20 that 24 3/4 H x 18 W.. ( But is that enough hot water?)

Old 04-01-16, 11:33 AM
H
Thank you everyone for you advice and suggestions. Itís a great help to me.

Scott

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: