Overheating issue

Old 04-15-16, 05:39 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Overheating issue

My old water heater was over 10 years old. It started overheating and when I checked the thermostats, there were signs of leaking at the lower one. I decided with the age to just replace it. Brand new water heater is overheating, lower element has scorch marks in the insulation and smells hot. Checked electric with a voltmeter and power coming through is correct. Did I just manage to get a bad out-of-the box heater or should I look deeper for another problem?

Old 04-15-16, 05:47 PM
J
Received 108 Votes on 95 Posts
Under sized wiring, loose connections can also cause this issue. Needs to be at least a #10 wire.

Old 04-15-16, 05:56 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
We didn't change anything out, but suddenly one day, the old one overheated. Now the new one is doing the same thing. I wouldn't think it would be a wire size issue. Possibly a loose connection. I've contacted where I purchased the heater and they are letting me do an exchange. Anything else you think I should check before installing the new one? Probably wont get an easy return if it does the same thing.

Old 04-17-16, 06:05 PM
A
Received 139 Votes on 128 Posts
is the water also excessively hot?

Did you install it yourself? Is the scorched wire one of the wires from the feed cable you attached yourself?

When you get the replacement heater, sneak a peek inside each of the hatch covers and check all the screw terminals for proper tightness. (Do not use tremendous force yourself to tighten the screws.)

Set the temperature to about 120 degrees F on both lower and upper thermostats.

Old 04-18-16, 09:42 AM
Received 114 Votes on 101 Posts
My old water heater was over 10 years old. It started overheating and when I checked the thermostats, there were signs of leaking at the lower one.
What was overheating, the water or just the wiring inside the water heater? The internal wiring is 12 AWG, but it also has a high temperature insulation and is rated for the amperage.

Brand new water heater is overheating, lower element has scorch marks in the insulation and smells hot.
Scorch marks mean it's probably the wiring. If the scorch marks are just near the element, the screw connections on the element were not properly tightened at the factory. What brand heater is this?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: