Purchasing house with tankless HW heaters

Old 04-18-16, 03:07 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Purchasing house with tankless HW heaters

My wife and I are in negotiations for a house that has a dual tankless setup. We've had our inspection performed and the inspector said the tanks only had 1 of the 2 control panels functioning. When questioned the owners state that the house when they first moved in would only provide about 2 minutes of hot water then shut off. At that time they hired a plumber that wired both of the tanks to one control panel and per their report have had hot water ever since that time. I do not know any other details about the tanks. Is it common to have 2 tankless run by one control panel? Thanks

Old 04-18-16, 04:54 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
General consensus of most member of the forum is your better off with a conventional storage water heater. You one of the two has already failed and you can surmise from the fact that they had to use two that they may not be doing a very good job of supplying hot water. A common problem because the heat of the water is partly dependent on flow rate. You might want to ask for a discount to install a conventional water heater. After all one of the two has all ready been jerry rigged because of problems.

Old 04-18-16, 05:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,053 Upvotes on 3,636 Posts
Is it common to have 2 tankless run by one control panel? Thanks
No... it is not common.

It may be fairly easy to run two electric heaters from one control panel.
I would consider two gas water heaters on one control panel a serious issue.

Old 04-18-16, 06:16 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the information. I am of the understanding that it is 2 gas water heaters. I've contacted my real estate agent to have the setup inspected by a plumber before we are out of our option period.

Old 04-19-16, 03:42 PM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
I am of the understanding that it is 2 gas water heaters.
Regardless of the heat source, it sounds as if you have two heaters firing simultaneously and sometimes only have water flow through one of them. This sounds like a serious safety issue to me. I am also curious about annual maintenance on these heaters, has it been performed regulary? I don't think I would buy this house unless the heaters were replaced, preferably with a storage type water heater.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: