RUUD water heaters

Old 05-25-16, 01:36 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
RUUD water heaters

I have two RUUD 75 gallon gas hot water heaters in my facility. It's a 4 story building, and they are both on the 4th floor and vented threw the roof. One is a year old. The other installed in mid 2008. What can I expect for age on these units? Being on the top floor, I'd like to stay on top of things before the bottom drops out and floods my facility. I'm guessing 10 years and start looking for a replacement. Is this a good estimate? Thanks

Old 05-25-16, 02:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
If properly maintained and drained occasionally to rid the tanks of gunk, they can last longer. A good EOL estimate would be about 12 to 15 years. Since they are on upper floors, preemptive measures should be taken, such as placing the water heaters on collection pans with positive drains in the event of a mishap. Of course piping can fail as well, so visual inspection on occasion is always a good thing. It may not be required in your location, but do you have an expansion tank on the cold water side of the water heaters? It will help keep the heated water equalized and not over pressurize your main tank.

Old 05-25-16, 07:34 AM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Neither of these units ever get drained. There is one small drain in the floor for both units. If the worst were to happen, I don't think that drain would be much help. It might be fine for a small, slow leak. There is an expansion tank there. It looks old and I don't know its condition. How would I know if the tank is still functional? Other than that, for eight years old, it's working fine for now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: