Rewiring hot water heater

Old 06-05-16, 09:51 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Rewiring hot water heater

Hey been here before. Finally getting around to doing it. Live in mobile home. WH is 16 years old and want to replace. Original is 30 gallon single 3500 watt element. Wire to single 220 breaker (20A) with 12 guage wire. That WH configuration is rare. Found one that will fit in space and is also mobile home specific. It is a single 4500 watt element. I fished 10-2 romex into box and into room. My box uses these siemens "mini" breakers. The 20A which is actually 2 together is in the middle of 2 single 20A and are riveted together into a "sandwich" There is a space under it for another breaker. I just want to just use a full size 30A which fits just fine and just disconnect the 20A and go with that. Any problem?

Old 06-05-16, 09:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 909 Upvotes on 767 Posts
What you propose sounds fine. If the water heater is not located within sight of the breaker you will need a disconnect next to the water heater or a device that is able to lock off the breaker.

Old 06-05-16, 10:28 AM
D
rewired heater

the water heater is only 10 feet from box as the crow flies but is behind a false panel in closet. Old one was wired directly to water heater. Was not sure if i was clear but I had to leave those 3 mini breakers (actually 4 because the middle 2 were tied together for 220) all riveted together in place. I will leave the 2 outside 20s connected but disconnect the middle 2 (the water heater) and have the 10-2 which takes place of the original wired to the full size 30 that i pushed in below the "sandwich". I am pretty sure I am OK but wanted to check. Also had to knock out the inserts on front cover which was no big deal

Old 06-05-16, 01:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 909 Upvotes on 767 Posts
Was not sure if i was clear but I had to leave those 3 mini breakers (actually 4 because the middle 2 were tied together for 220) all riveted together in place.
Yes, I know the breaker you are describing. It is ok to disconnect the wires from the breaker and leave it in the panel. Installing a full size two pole 30 amp breaker below is also OK as long as you have buses available to plug the breaker onto. You did need to knock out the KOs so that is OK too.

Old 06-07-16, 03:19 PM
D
rewired heater

Sorry I was off line. Thanks for the replies. I do have room and the full size is in there and working just fine but also I have ordered the appropriate one just to look right. All seems good

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: