Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Water heater leaking through top

Here is a pic:
https://goo.gl/photos/8j919Ksvx1iHUAdp6
Name:  wh.jpg
Views: 14990
Size:  28.8 KB

This is at my dad's house. He has alzheimer's and is on a fixed income so I would like to solve this as inexpensively as possible even if it is only a temporary fix.

I saw water coming from underneath the red disk thingy on the hot water outlet, indicated by the red arrow on the left, and I thought some might have been swirling up from the hole with the other arrow on the right, but I'm not sure about that one.

We are in a drought here, and the house is spring-fed into a cold water holding tank, so it's possible some sludge or sand from that tank might have gotten into the heater, but I'm not sure about that either.

Water from the bottom (cold) release on the heater has some sand in it but not too much. Didn't look sludgey though. I didn't drain much. Water from the hot release which is closer to the top looked clear.

The water from the heater is the same temp as always.

I am hesitant to drain it because I don't want to waste water, but maybe that is the thing to do first?

Last edited by PJmax; 09-02-16 at 02:13 PM. Reason: added enhanced pic from link
Old 09-02-16, 02:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,122 Upvotes on 3,702 Posts
It looks like the tank is leaking from the hot water fitting. If it was just the cold water connection you could repair it. Unfortunately it appears to be coming from the point where the fitting is welded to the tank and there is no repair for that.

Last edited by PJmax; 09-02-16 at 05:54 PM. Reason: correction
Old 09-02-16, 04:53 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
*hot fitting
What would cause that to happen, so I can avoid in the future?

Old 09-02-16, 05:40 PM
J
Received 129 Upvotes on 114 Posts
How old is that tank?
Leaking from the top I 100% agree time for a new tank.
Water heaters should have had a garden hose connected at least ever 6 months to the bottom drain and ran for about 15 min. to drain out the solids in the bottom of the tank.
Wasting water, I think not.
To late now to try and do the required maintenace.
It also looks like there just 1/2 lines running and out of that heater.
3/4" would have about twice the flow of those 1/2" lines.

Old 09-02-16, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Thats a dual anode rod tank it looks like... Plus its blue... Its got to be old... You got your life out of it... just replace ,, Its a mor flo or a AO smith old consevationist...

Tell us the S /N.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: