corroded pipe

Old 09-25-16, 09:13 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
corroded pipe

This is a photo of the pipe that goes into my gas water heater. As you can see, rusted and corroded to a point that it's coming down on the covered pipe below it. It looks like I will need to bring in a professional to fix but I was wondering if anyone has any advice on this fix?Name:  IMAG07102.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  20.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-16, 03:48 AM
Received 195 Votes on 176 Posts
What's on the other side of the wall? Take another pic but farther out so we can see the tank and surrounding area.

Old 09-26-16, 04:42 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It may be that the Valve Stem Packing needs replacement . . . . or maybe just re-tightening.

Old 09-26-16, 04:47 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 536 Votes on 493 Posts
If you had addressed this sooner I think the packing nut of the valve just needed tightening. Now that it's leaked so long you'll have difficulty tightening it but it's worth a try. If that doesn't stop the leak the packing may need to be replaced if the valve can be disassembled.

Old 09-26-16, 06:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If copper is coming out of the wall, this is a fairly easy fix if you can solder pipe. Since you're in CA, it's probably copper.
You need a new ball valve, some elbows and pipe, and maybe a few other fittings.

Beware, this is an easy fix but be careful calling a large plumbing company, it could cost some ridiculous amount. I would stick with the licensed small guys.