Pressure release valve

Old 10-23-16, 01:20 AM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pressure release valve

I know I should bleed the system of air, but will any air in the tank prevent the pressure release valve from opening?

I am installing a new hot water tank. I intend to fill it, and then bleed off any air, but am concerned that if the pressure is too high it will damage the tank before I can bleed it. I am trying not to have a open pipe to prevent damage to the room. And therefore would prefer not to fill (until water overflows) then fit the valve.

Any advice grateful received

Old 10-23-16, 04:35 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 855 Votes on 789 Posts
If you are referring to a home water heater an easy way to bleed it is to turn the water back on and open a hot faucet somewhere in the house. Leave it open until water comes out in a steady stream. Once it stops sputtering air turn off the faucet and turn on the water heater.

Old 10-23-16, 10:14 PM
J
Received 99 Votes on 87 Posts
I agree, confusing post.
What's a pressure relief valve have to to do with installing a new water heater?
There's no reason to even remove the valve that already comes installed.
How is the pressure going to get to high if it has not even been turned on yet?
Household heater, then just follow Pilot's advice.

Old 10-24-16, 05:42 AM
A
Received 130 Votes on 119 Posts
Install the temperature/pressure relief valve on the water heater if not already there before turning on the water or gas or electricity. Of course water will spill out of the opening for the relief valve if nothing is screwed in there.

No abnormal high pressure spikes will occur from the city or well pump water pressure while the water heater is being filled and water is sputtering from the faucet during the bleeding process.

The water heater heat (gas or electricity) must not be turned on when there is any significant amount of air in the tank.

Old 10-25-16, 09:24 AM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you, very helpful, and much appreciated. Good clear advice. Thank you

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: