Saving Power - Water Heater in Outside shed. Ideas?

Old 10-25-16, 08:41 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Saving Power - Water Heater in Outside shed. Ideas?

Hi,
I have a townhouse and I have an electric water heater that resides behind my house in a Shed that butts up to my house. Very cold in there of course. I suspect this thing is having to run ALL the time especially in the Winter and could be the cause of a power spike. Any ideas to help this thing out?

Old 10-25-16, 08:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,327 Upvotes on 2,069 Posts
There are insulation kits you can install. Basically you wrap the water heater in insulation.

Old 10-25-16, 09:39 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
How do you define "very cold" and "power spike"? Electric water heaters are either on or off, when they turn on there is an increase in power consumption that could be considered a power spike but these are entirely normal.

And trust me, your water heater is NOT constantly heating unless you have a continuous flow of water through it. That stated, you might not have the best installation. Electric water heaters should sit on a two-inch thick piece of extruded polystyrene insulation (Styrofoam) to minimize heat loss through the bottom. When installed in an unheated area the addition of a "water heater blanket" is usually money well spent IF it is carefully done and includes the top of the heater tank. Both hot and cold pipes entering the tank should be insulated, the cold for at least four feet and the hot completely. Minimize any air leakage in the shed that holds the waster heater.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: