Cutting Open HWH

Old 01-03-17, 10:55 PM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 68 Posts
Cutting Open HWH

I'm going to be installing a new gas HWH heater shortly and I'm curious to examine the inside of my old one, 18 years old. I was thinking of using a cutoff grinder to open up the side, ala This Old House style.

Anybody think of any concerns I might run into hazardous-wise. I'm mainly concerned about the "glass lining". Never seen one not sure what it would do when I cut into it.

I'd obviously be wearing eye/face protection and gloves.

Thanks...

Old 01-04-17, 06:01 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
It'll be slow going with a cutoff wheel but eventually you'll split it. Better to use a non-ferrous blade in a circular saw, next best is a reciprocating saw.
"Glass" lining is just porcelain so no problems there.

If you have a high efficiency heater with a lot of insulation between the skin & the tank you might need to skin it first.

Old 01-04-17, 06:08 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
I cut one up into pieces once with a cutoff wheel in an angle grinder. It actually went pretty quick. Part that took the longest was peeling off all the foam insulation. Wear a good respirator and full face shield. Makes a @#%# of a mess.

Old 01-31-17, 12:05 AM
N
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
When I have seen this done at school, they have usually used a large bandsaw. Nice straight cuts, and the saw basically does the work. Less chance of destroying things than with a cutoff wheel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: