Removed insulation and unable to put back in?

Old 01-13-17, 08:02 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removed insulation and unable to put back in?

I just bought a new Giant 60 gallon electric water heater and the electrical connection is on the side, it's a pain as there is not much room to work with especially with a 10/2 wire that this 240V 4500w heater requires. I removed the access panel on the top and didn't know if I should of cut through the insulation, so I pulled on the small insulation batt to remove it and exposed the thermostat and electrical connection wires. But now I am unable to reinsert the insulation blanket, there is not enough room to shove it in the sides and the access panel don't fit. Is this a common issue or a poorly designed tank or there is something I am doing wrong?

BTW the electrical in the pictures is not the final connection I was just seeing if the wires would fit in the tank.

Attached Images  
Old 01-13-17, 12:57 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Like trying to get something back in the box for a return the insulation doesn't like to go back into it's package either. I tuck the edges of the insulation in and just get it in as good as possible. With one hand I push the cover into place, squishing the insulation. With my other hand I install the screws.

Old 01-13-17, 01:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I gotta ask, why is there a strain relief exiting out the side of the water heater without a box attached to it? How do you plan on making your connection to line voltage? Any connection you make will need to be in an enclosure. I have never seen an electrical connection like that. Most are in an enclosure on top of the water heater.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: