mobile home water heaters

Old 02-01-17, 03:29 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
mobile home water heaters

Im going to have a new water heater installed in my mothers home who is in the hospital with stage four cancer. Ive been repairing her 2001 mobile home for the last few weeks while she is away. While replacing some of the flooring i found the source to be the original state 40 gal electric water heater leaking where the pressure valve goes into the tank. its just a slow drip but their is a large amount of sludge running down the tank might have been leaking since new she just never checked on it.

But i have a friend that is a master plumber and said he wouldnt mind installing it for me. My buddy said to buy a water heater threw his company is expensive. he told me to just make sure its for a mobile home. He also said they dont do many repairs they install new and have another crew that does the repairs. He said they try and sale bradford white. I looked at bradford white and didnt find anything electric for mobile home. So im not sure what brand to get. Im doing this out of my own pocket to help make my mothers final days as good as i can make them. So i would like to stick around $350-400 after that ill be maxed out on credit cards.

Old 02-01-17, 03:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Is the water heater accessed through the outside wall near the bathroom, or is it located in a closet on the interior? Some use small regular size water heaters. Can you give us the dimensions of the tank......height, width across?

Old 02-01-17, 04:38 PM
S
Thanks the info on the tank is state scout model #SCI401HMSE volt 240 40 gallon max pressure 150. It in a bedroom closet center of the home. I dont have the measurements on hand

Old 02-02-17, 03:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 405 Votes on 361 Posts
Most MH water heaters are slightly different than conventional water heaters. The main difference is where the water goes into the tank. No big deal if you don't get a MH water heater but that does mean you have to extend the water supply line. Not everyone stocks the MH water heaters.

Old 02-02-17, 04:11 AM
You have the better of the two scenarios, but as Mark said, your supply probably enters the lower part of the heater, which would only require extending it to the top to use a convention, albeit smaller water heater than regular household heaters. Closet size and pipe spacing will be the only dictation as to what you can use. Piping can be moved or extended.

Old 02-02-17, 11:07 AM
S
I was reading something that said putting a standard water heater in mh will cause alot of heads. If you ever try and get insurance or sale the home in the future

Old 02-02-17, 11:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've used conventional water heaters in a MH with no issues other than having to extend the supply line. My stepson's MH currently has a conventional water heater, the MH ones were out of stock and I didn't have time to wait. Not aware of any insurance concerns - what have you heard?

Old 02-02-17, 11:37 AM
S
I read it threw google search after the local trailer/mobile home parts place told me only mh unit can be used in mh. It has something to do with hud. the local mh parts store said he only sales "american" brand name units made by state/ao smith. i did a search on american units and came back only 1 out of 5 stars for the company. whats you guys imput on american water heaters

Old 02-02-17, 11:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
American is a big brand and if I'm not mistaken AO Smith is a preferred brand .... but I'm a painter not a plumber. Hopefully one of the plumbers will have time to chime in later.

I'd be a little skeptical about the info given at the MH parts store as it sounds like he's trying to push his products.

Old 02-02-17, 02:46 PM
You mean a MH parts store told you that you could only buy from him?? Ehh. Wrong. Unless he can document problems he is simply blowing smoke. After all it's on the internet, so it must be true.

Old 02-02-17, 04:30 PM
S
I got the measurements its 50inches tall 20inches across. Im sure i could fit taller and but is kinda tight on the width. the breaker is a 20 amp with 12ga wiring.

I was looking at this unit in PROE40 1 RH95 MH 40 gallon. Rheem Professional Classic Series: Standard Electric for Manufactured Housing Series but i cant figure out if it is 3500 watts or 4500 watts. I was thinking to buy it from homedepot and their site says 4500/4500, but another online site say that model is 3500 watts.

rheem really didnt have many answers or they where in a hurry and just said it will work and be safe if not just throw in a 25 amp breaker. they said their 4500 watt took place of their 3800 my buddy who is a master electrician but to busy to help right now said he would run new 10 ga wire and 30 amp duel pole breaker. money is tight right now and dont know if i can do the upgrade on the wiring right now. but I want it to be 100% safe.

not sure on what to do not in a real rush or set on a brand but here rheem and bradford white are the same.

Old 02-02-17, 04:54 PM
You will need to upgrade the wiring, but it won't break the bank, I don't think. How far away is your breaker panel? The new water heater will run off 240 volts and 30 amps so you will need the 10 gauge cable as your electrician buddy said.

Don't get caught up in a name, except to get one from a reputable manufacturer. Check the warranty out. Most water heaters will last about 12 to 15 years, some longer.

Old 02-02-17, 04:55 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
the breaker is a 20 amp with 12ga wiring.
Replace the breaker with a 30amp and run #10 you should be good to with most water heaters. That 20 amp rating on the supply is probably why you are being told you can't use a regular WH,

Old 02-02-17, 05:00 PM
Just checking some prices, the 10-2 wg cable will run about 85 cents to a dollar a foot (you don't have to buy a 100' coil), and the breaker will run about $10-12.

Old 02-03-17, 07:25 AM
S
Thanks, You guys have motivated me to run new wire and change a breaker out. better safe then sorry. I wish i would have done it last week when I had the replace some of the osb and shingles right near where the wire for the water heater ran in the roof. I also pulled the siding where the electric box was to reseal a window next to where i thought the roof leak was originally coming from but ended up being a leak under the shingles that ran down the wall to make the window look at fault. since all of that had all ready been replaced. i think im going to run it under the mobile home.

Old 02-03-17, 07:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
This is more question than recommendation but several yrs ago I replaced my water heater and installed the new one in a different location. I used the abandoned 10 gauge dryer wiring but the old 20 amp water heater breaker. I just double checked the label on the water heater and it does say 30 amp. I've not had any issues with it run this way, comments?

Old 02-03-17, 10:48 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
i think im going to run it under the mobile home.
That is the only way I'd run it. Simpler than other ways. In the WH closet you can mount a 4x4 box* touching the floor where it mounts to the wall then just come out of the connection box with a whip to the water heater.

*If a disconnect is needed use a 60a unfused air condition pull out disconnect instead of the 4x4 box.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: