Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Water Heaters
Reload this Page >

Brand new Rheem Gas Water Heater constantly losing heat error code 6-3

Brand new Rheem Gas Water Heater constantly losing heat error code 6-3

Old 02-05-17, 05:46 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Brand new Rheem Gas Water Heater constantly losing heat error code 6-3

We have a BRAND NEW Rheem Water Heater (Model #PROG50-42N RH67 PV) with a Honeywell thermostat that replaced our other BRAND NEW Rheem only two months ago, our house was built 2 years ago. It has been giving us error code 6 - 3 (recycle limit - flame loss) over and over again. We lose heat, have to go and reset it and then wait about 30 minutes for the water to get heated again. It started doing this about a year after the house was built, originally starting with a loud banging. It started turning off only every few months, then went to weeks, then went to daily. Plumber who originally installed it and did all our house plumbing replaced the whole unit under warranty, added extra vents in the closet in case of ventilation issue, still didn't work. This new heater is now having the same issue (minus the banging) after only 2 months. Plumber is at a bit of a loss and I can't imagine that we would have the luck of getting TWO defective heaters. Anyone experience this or have an answer, I am beyond frustrated!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-17, 03:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Other people may be able to help better but I would go direct to source. Here is the contact info for Rheem.
Contact Rheem

Old 12-02-18, 07:56 PM
Did you get it sorted

I found this thread because I am having similar issues with my rheem water heater. It baffles every plumber. Did you ever get your heater sorted?

Thanks

Old 12-03-18, 08:54 AM
Received 20 Votes on 15 Posts
Old 08-11-19, 08:18 AM
I have two rheem water heaters (one old GE made by rheem and one new rheem) The link between the water heaters started to leak due to the new one being taller than the old which put a lot of pressure on the joints. So I put in a shorter line on the new side and that fixed the leak. (I had to couple two hoses together as I couldn't find a long enough hose at my local store). After I was done, neither water heater would work. The old water heater pilot light would not lite and I was getting the 6-3 error code on my new rheem water heater. I tried everything to fix it. I found some water in the bottom of both water heaters from the leak I fixed the leak and dried them out. The first one dried up quickly and started working within two days. I put my finger in the bottom of the new one and there was still water in the bottom of it. The new one wasn't drying up so quickly so I put a fan in front of it and it dried up and started working after a few more days. Today my new water stopped working and I'm getting the 6 flash followed by 3 flash error code again. I checked and sure enough there is a little bit of water in the bottom of the heater. I know it's not leaking from the top, so I'm going to have to check the bottom valve for a leak.