Question on indirect water heaters

Old 02-14-17, 07:24 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Question on indirect water heaters

Few months back, I bought a house where indirect water heater (41 gallons Amtrol BoilerMate) is installed. All was fine until the casing developed 20+ inch crack. Water is not leaking so I guess for now I am just loosing efficiency. I had one person to come over to take a look at it and he recommended to replace it with regular (direct?) water heater. He told me that the current system will use the furnace even in the summertime to heat the water.

Could somebody in layman's terms explain to me what are the advantages of indirect water heaters and if I should or should not replace it with regular water heater?

I am asking because the Amtrol replacement is more than double the cost of regular water heater. Currently, our basement is nice and hot but I can imagine that in the summertime it is going to be an inferno in there with all the equipment working.

Old 02-14-17, 08:06 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
He told me that the current system will use the furnace even in the summertime to heat the water.
First of all, you mean boiler not furnace? Is it oil or gas? If it's oil, is there gas in the house? No matter what, I don't like the idea that water has to be heated in the boiler before it goes to an indirect storage tank or a hot water heater. If you install a hot water heater, I wouldn't leave the feed going to the boiler first unless you pipe it so it can be changed at will.

Old 02-14-17, 08:36 AM
D
Thanks for replying. We have gas going into the house. I thought, furnace heats up water that goes to the indirect water heater but I may be mistaken. That's why I thought that furnace will run even in summertime just to heat up water. I am also not sure I follow the "feed going to the boiler first".

Old 02-14-17, 09:13 AM
D
The only mistake that you made twice now was using the word furnace instead of boiler. The boiler heats the water first & will run in the summer. So, the boiler runs on gas? Is it a hot water or steam system?

Old 02-14-17, 10:09 AM
D
I am noob at heating systems but I am not sure I am mistaken here. This is what I have:

http://www.amtrol.com/media/document...ate_Mailer.pdf

It is indirect water heater that uses hot water heated by furnace to heat up water in the tank. As far as I know there are not gas lines going to the boiler. That's why I think the furnace will run in the summertime to heat up water in the tank.

Old 02-14-17, 10:11 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Old 02-14-17, 10:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,099 Upvotes on 3,682 Posts
That's why I think the furnace will run in the summertime to heat up water in the tank.
That is correct. For the most part that is not the most efficient way of heating water for domestic use.

Since you have gas..... my recommendation would be to install a gas fired water heater.
Remove the indirect tank. Break all connections to the boiler and give it the summer off.

Old 02-14-17, 03:18 PM
D
I am noob at heating systems
That much is clear.

That's why I think the furnace will run in the summertime to heat up water in the tank.
That is also clear. Should I presume that since you don't see gas line, the boiler runs on oil? Do you keep saying furnace just to bug me?

Since you have gas..... my recommendation would be to install a gas fired water heater.
I agree with PJ on that & make sure that the cold water feed goes straight to it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: