Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Water Heaters
Reload this Page >

Hot water temp in shower gradually started to fluctuate when sink used

Old 04-23-17, 09:15 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a 1.25 bath house with copper pipes and good water pressure. I have never had a problem with our kitchen sink causing a drop in water temp for someone taking a shower. We have a 40 gallon gas water heater that's about 3 years old, and nothing changed after it was installed. But about 4 months ago, my son started complaining the water temp fluctuated when we did dishes while he was taking a shower, a new phenomenon. Could this be caused by sediment building up in the tank? The guy who installed the heater said it was "self cleaning" and didn't need to be periodically drained, which I wonder about. I live in San Francisco where our water is good and doesn't have a problem with lime scale.

Old 04-24-17, 06:41 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Sounds like a possible issue with the anti scald valve, they get trash in them and stick sometimes.
How it's fixed depends on what make valve you have.
It's also very common to have temp. changes when someone's using the water somewhere else in the home if the main run pipes are undersized.

Old 04-27-17, 01:05 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I plead ignorance, and admit I don't know if my water heater even has one. Where would it be?

As far as piping being too small, pipes or water heater haven't changed and never had this problem until a few months ago. Water pressure doesn't seem to have dropped across the house during this new phenomenon

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: