Cut off switch for electric water heater

Old 05-05-17, 10:43 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cut off switch for electric water heater

New 50 gallon Marathon water heater and electric supply consists of a black (hot) and a white (hot) plus a ground. Connection to water heater thru a junction box worked great (black to black, white to red). I now want to add a power cut off switch to the face of that junction box so I can cut power at water heater instead of having to walk to panel. How do I wire up a switch with 2 hots and a ground?

Old 05-05-17, 11:41 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Yes, you can use a DPST switch rated at least 30 amps and 240 volts.

Here's an example:

Leviton 30 Amp Industrial Double Pole Switch, White-R62-03032-2WS - The Home Depot

This switch has 4 terminals and switches both wires to the heater.

You wire incoming power to the two terminals at the bottom of switch or the two terminals at the top of the switch, and then connect the other two terminals to the water heater.

Old 05-05-17, 12:20 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Often a 60 amp non fused pull out air condition disconnect is used. No junction box required. They only cost around half what a DPST switch costs.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-60-Amp...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

Note by code that "white" wire must be remarked black or red, or any color but white gray or green. This can be done with bands of colored tape or a permanent marker.

Old 05-10-17, 09:57 AM
Received 113 Votes on 100 Posts
I now want to add a power cut off switch to the face of that junction box so I can cut power at water heater instead of having to walk to panel
I would replace the junction box with the air conditioning disconnect Ray mentioned, they can be purchased for around $8.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: