Purpose of plastic on water heater element rods

Old 05-12-17, 01:07 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Purpose of plastic on water heater element rods

I notice there's approximately 3/4' of clear plastic around the base - i.e. where they insert into the threaded base on both sides of the heater element rods on a water heater. What's the reason for that plastic being there? If it breaks off due to deterioration as I notice it's doing will that cause a problem?

Looking at pics online of heater elements such as the one below I don't find that they have this plastic. If you go directly to the link the image is larger.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/vtMv-MkIaQI/maxresdefault.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80671[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 05-12-17, 01:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,608 Votes on 1,480 Posts
We know what a new element looks like. A picture of what you have would be more helpful.

Old 05-12-17, 02:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
If you are talking about the plastic plate that covers the connections on the switches and elements, well it's there to protect you from sticking your hands in it and getting electrocuted. Pictures would help so we would know exactly what you are referring to.

Old 05-12-17, 10:12 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Here's what I'm talking about. Both of the originals in the heater have this plastic around the element rod, the new ones I just got at Lowe's don't have this.

Name:  heater element plastic.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  20.7 KB

Old 05-13-17, 02:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
That plastic sleeve material has no operational value to the element, and I would not worry too much about not having it. I have never seen it on an element, so it must be proprietary to your water heater manufacturer. You are good to go without it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: