Pressure relief valve leaking

Old 07-04-17, 11:39 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pressure relief valve leaking

Happy 4th! First time poster here. New to home ownership maintenance. There is a pressure relief valve that is part of the cold water inlet valve above the water heater. It has a constant small stream of water coming out when the cold water inlet valve is open. Also there is sound of constant water running although the water heater is not running.

It used to be just a drip and i never thought much of it until the constant water flow.

I am thinking too much pressure to the house and i will need to get a thermal expansion tank installed.

I currently have the hot water off and the water heater off as well and turned off the gas line to it.

Im hoping there is no hot water leak in the slab. A constant small stream from pressure relief valve i think would make the constant water flow noise.

Im here to ask the experts their opinions and advice.

Not sure if i can post pictures else i would.

Also the former clear tube appears smoky white as if it has sediment buildup. Been in the house 2 years and havent flushed water heater or checked anode rod. This is my first time diving into water heaters and there is a lot of stuff i didnt know.

Thoughts?

Old 07-04-17, 11:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,524 Votes on 1,407 Posts
Welcome to the forums and Happy 4th.

You had two threads running. The second one is gone.

Pictures of what you have there would be perfect as I'm not visualizing what you have.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 07-04-17, 12:24 PM
Happy 4th and welcome.
Without seeing pictures my advice would be that any threaded water pipe fitting requires sealing.
I always apply 3 or 4 wraps of Teflon Tape and then coat the tape with Teflon paste.
No leaks and no call backs.

clear tube appears smoky white
Please explain what clear tube means. Poly (translucent white) tubing is not used for water heaters.

Old 07-04-17, 03:38 PM
H
Thanks for the replies. I set up a photobucket account and uploaded a couple of pictures. Tried to edit them but the site seems to be slow.

Water Heater Problem July 17 by Haynea4f | Photobucket
Name:  wh1.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  34.0 KB

Name:  wh2.jpg
Views: 1394
Size:  30.0 KB

The white tube is the one that has a continuous leak out from the pressure release valve from where the cold inlet valve is. I have read that this valve is for pressure only and will begin to drain at 100psi. And this is why it has a continuous stream.

The continuous running water sound started happening after I set the water heater to vacation and left for ten days out of state. Came back and turned it up to hot. Thats when I heard the water always on. I shut off the cold water inlet and could still hear the water flowing a little bit and the pressure relief valve was still releasing water although not as much. Then I turned off the water heater and no longer heard water running, though the tube was still dripping some. Then I tested the T&P valve and released whatever pressure was built up. Then I went up stairs and turned on hot water faucets to get air out of pipes.

So I am thinking that the pressure is high in the house (I am going to get a pressure gauge to make sure) over 100psi causing this to happen, and in turn causing water to run since water out equals water in. But its not enough to trigger T&P valve which I believe is triggered at 150PSI.

This all leads me to think I need to get a thermal expansion tank, and maybe regulate the pressure on the house (not sure what the part is called).

Crossing my fingers this is not a hot water line leak under the slab. Especially since my GE profile fridge also has problems and that is a project I am learning too. Money's tight.

Last edited by PJmax; 07-04-17 at 04:26 PM. Reason: added pics from link
Old 07-04-17, 04:14 PM
H
subscribing to thread

forgot to subscribe to thread doing it now

Old 07-04-17, 04:27 PM
Group Moderator
Photobucket is making it impossible to hotlink without a paid account.

We need shots further back. We need to see the whole installation.
I've never seen a relief valve there. It is supposed to be in the side of the tank.

Old 07-04-17, 04:49 PM
H
further shots

In the closer picture the T&P valve is next to the red dot. The blue dot shows where the pressure relief valve is, but I believe i am mistaken calling it a pressure relief valve, it is a thermal expansion ball valve.

Here is a link to a similar thermal expansion ball valve Expansion thermostatic valve / for hot water - 78RV - Conbraco Industries

Name:  wh3.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  37.2 KB

Name:  wh4.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  27.4 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-04-17 at 04:56 PM. Reason: added pics from link
Old 07-04-17, 05:05 PM
Group Moderator
I've been resizing and transferring pics directly to the board as photobucket is hampering 3rd party linking.

I'm guessing they use that valve in exchange for a expansion tank. I see you do have a valve on the side of the tank. That valve should be piped in metal.... like copper.
You most likely have a pressure reducing valve on the main water line and that will cause pressure to build at the water heater. A pressure tank should be installed.

Old 07-04-17, 05:16 PM
H
Thanks for adding the pics, I should look how to do that. I was thinking the same thing about the tank. Seems logical and hoping the water flowing constant is not leak related under the slab. House is only a couple years old.

Old 07-07-17, 09:54 PM
H
So I was doing research and the part is a thermal expansion ball valve. It is designed to relieve pressure at 100psi. So I checked the pressure of the house and it read about 75. Figured that was high and reduce it to 60. Also, wife wanted super hot water before so I had it turned up to very hot previously. Now I have it set to just hot. Water temperature now at 120. Not sure what it was before.

The valve is still draining constantly but I feel better that its not a slab issue. I would install the thermal tank myself but the valve needs to be moved up further to all the 18 inch clearance needed for the thermal tank. Also I am thinking the valve needs to be replaced since it is constantly flowing.

Will update more when it is done.

Old 07-07-17, 10:13 PM
Group Moderator
The expansion tank goes in the cold water line and can be installed up at the ceiling.

Old 10-24-18, 11:02 PM
D
Hey Haynea4f,

I've read this thread and I'm facing the exact same issue right now with my hot water tank. Could you please tell me what you did to resolve this? Did you install an expansion tank? If so how far away from the valve? before or after the valve? Many thanks. I need to get this sorted out as I too am worried. Any "after" shots would be greatly appreciated also.

Please feel see my details over on ************

cheers.
E

Last edited by Shadeladie; 10-25-18 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Links to other forums not allowed
Old 10-25-18, 02:43 PM
D
Apologies on the above link in the post. I wasn't aware of the forum rules here. Just trying to provide as much info as possible..

cheers.
E

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: