Low pressure from hot side in house, suspect water heater.

Old 09-29-17, 12:19 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Low pressure from hot side in house, suspect water heater.

When I turn the hot water on, it's only about half the pressure of the cold water.

I went to drain the water heater via the plug at the bottom of the water heater and very little water came out.

Seems that I was supposed to drain it monthly or something of that nature based upon reading, but life got in the way.

Should I assume that the water heater is clogged? Do I just go buy another one and install it, or is there anything to try out first? Water heater is a whirpool that is around 6 years old. That is around how long my last one lasted.

Thank you.

Old 09-29-17, 12:35 PM
J
Received 129 Upvotes on 114 Posts
Sediment in the bottom of the tank is not the issue.
What size line was run to the tank?
Old steel pipe?

Old 09-29-17, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
As joe states usually the nipples at top of heater are of the wrong type metal and closed up by rust.. This causes a smaller pipe diameter..

Another thing to look at s the valve to the heater. Often old gate valves break and do not open all the way, or on regular type valves with a washer, the washer comes loose restricting flow...

Old 09-29-17, 05:38 PM
J
Received 129 Upvotes on 114 Posts
At most you should drain some of the water out of the tank every 6 months.
There's 0 need to drain the whole tank!

Old 10-04-17, 09:16 AM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
Should I assume that the water heater is clogged?

I doubt the tank is clogged, but I did one time find a similar problem, but the problem was only at the kitchen sink, hot flow to the rest of the house was fine. I found eventually that a few small chunks of hardened calcium had made their way all the way up the the stop at the kitchen sink.

Old 10-06-17, 10:24 AM
H
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
I would add that if you replace go with Bradford White or Rheem. I have had very good luck with both and extremely poor results with anything made by American, which is rebranded as Whirlpool.

Old 10-06-17, 10:53 AM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
I have had very good luck with both and extremely poor results with anything made by American, which is rebranded as Whirlpool.

I have a new Bradford White sitting in my basement just waiting for my 22 year old Mor Flo (by American Water Heater) to drop dead. Starting to look like it'll be a long wait.

Don't have to worry about Whirlpool water heaters much any more since Lowes dropped them and started stocking AO Smith.

Old 10-08-17, 05:32 PM
H
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Didn't know that Lowe's had dropped American. They should have many years ago. I wonder if 22 yrs ago American made a good product. My last experience about 6 yrs ago, an American failed at 9 months. They said replace the thermocouple. I did and it worked for about 4 hrs before quitting again. I requested a new gas valve and they refused and hung up. You never forget an experience like that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: