Whirlpool water heater lockout...

Old 10-29-17, 07:27 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool water heater lockout...

Hello all - its been a while since I'v been here. Years in fact. At any rate, I have a whirlpool natural gas water heater. It has a honeywell wv4262b1114 gas valve. This is a high efficiency model, so it has electronic ignition (i.e. the pilot is not always lit). I am getting an error code of 4 flashes. This is the ECO limit lockout. A web search easily tells me the water heater got too hot. I did turn it up today to max, so my own fault. From what I can tell, once the controller registers this lockout, its toast. I've found some sites that talk about resetting the board, but those are all for non-electronic ignition models.

The honeywell wv4262b1114 valve is no longer produced. I'd hate to have to get a whole new water heater for a stupid valve. I installed the water heater myself, so I can easily connect a new valve - the problem is, I don't know what valve to get. Any ideas, or siggestions on how to potentially reset this stupid valve. It does have a connection port on it, I suspect to be serviced.

Thanks!

Old 10-29-17, 09:06 PM
D
OK - I'm going to ask another question. This stupid water heater is more complex because it has a damper that closes when the heating cycle is complete to "trap" the heat and therefore be "more" efficient. So it has this honeywell electronic controller. Looking at it more carefully, there are wires connected to a VOC detector (don't believe a lot of water heaters have these), wires to drive the damper, and then 1 wire for the electronic pilot ignition, and two for some sort of sensor, most likely the flame sensor. So I'm thinking I can forgo all this nonense and get a non-electronic gas control valve that screws into the existing bore once i remove the honeywell. Any reason this s a bad idea?

Old 10-29-17, 09:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,611 Votes on 1,483 Posts
I am not familiar with that water heater so I'd need it's model number. There's a good chance that there is a non resettable high heat safety link that opened. It's not normally listed as replaceable but it should be able to be changed.

Old 10-29-17, 09:16 PM
D
Thanks for the reply. The water heater is a Whirlpool ND50T122-403. It was sold by Lowes until 2015. I got it around 2010 or so, so only 7 years old, and it is a 12 year model, so I'd hate to get rid of it already. All this because I turned the darn thing up to high. Who would have guessed that turning it up would break it. And yes, everything I read said it is a non-resettable safety.

Old 10-29-17, 10:14 PM
Group Moderator
There is a thermal safety inside the burner area but that's only if the burner overheats. If the water overheats the valve acts to shutdown the system. It turns out that the biggest problem is sediment buildup on the heat detecting probe causing it to register higher temps and shutting down earlier than it should. Draining the tank of several gallons of water once a year is supposed to reduce that.

I got a link to a site from a friend. You read the info posted and go from there.
Let us know how you make out..... honeywell gas valve reset

I'm fairly certain the valve is still available. One part number I got was 6911132.
On re-reading your post I see you have electronic ignition and not a pilot. Disconnecting the board may still work to rest it.

Last edited by PJmax; 10-29-17 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-30-17, 06:54 AM
D
Thanks again - I disconnected everything - actually pulled the valve from the water heater and let it sit overnight. Then, I reconnected the electricals and still get the same error code. Just spoke with the mfg. It is still covered so they are overnighting me a new valve. They said once you get the ECO limit error, the valve is permanently deactivated. Why they would not have a reset button is beyond me, but it's their money in the end, not mine. Of course it is my time :-(

As to that website, I found that one as well and tried that, however the valve they are using does not have auto ignition and does not have a 110v power source connected, so it did not work.

Thanks again!

Old 10-30-17, 10:01 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks for letting me know how you made out.

Old 11-02-17, 07:41 AM
D
Hello again- one quick question- I'll be putting in the new gas valve tonight. Do I use Teflon tape on the threads that screw into the bore in the water heater tank. Or do I need to worry that the tape will slowly dissolve in the hot water over time and get into it? I know I need to use the yellow Teflon tape (or the paste stuff) on all gas connections, so this question is specific to the one threaded connection of the back of the gas valve into the water heater.

Thanks!

Old 11-02-17, 10:15 AM
Group Moderator
Use standard teflon tape on the valve to tank connection.
Teflon tape doesn't dissolve.

Old 11-04-17, 08:30 AM
Received 114 Votes on 101 Posts
The water heater is a Whirlpool ND50T122-403. It was sold by Lowes until 2015.

There are numerous reasons Lowes no longer sells Whirlpool branded water heaters and now sells AO Smith units. I think you just discovered one of them.

Old 02-06-19, 08:28 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
We have this same water heater and have had 2 different codes in the last year. The first was the igniter code. We called a plumber out as we could not get it going even after calling the company (they were very unreasonable and refused to give us any help). The plumber saw what part needed replaced, so he changed it and still couldn't get it going. He called the company, identified himself and gave his license info as well, they would not help him as he didn't order the part from them.
After calling another plumbing company who called and was refused help as well, he found someone who had repaired this in the past and told us the reset- shut power switch off, wait 2-3 min. Turn back on, tuen the heat control dial completely around 10X. We did this and it immediately kicked in.
A few months ago, we had the eco limit code (4 flashes) tried the same reset, worked great.
last night heater went out again. Have tried the reset 2x with no luck. I'll try it again in a bit, but looks like this 6 yr old heater may be shot

emilyg28 voted this post useful.
Old 02-06-19, 06:10 PM
I doubt you'll ever be happy with the Whirlpool water heater. You have also discovered one of the numerous reasons why Lowes no longer sells the Whirlpool branded water heaters. Theses natural gas units were manufactured by American Water Heater under license to use the Whirlpool name and all of the natural gas units have been trouble prone. I think you would be best served to replace it. Personally, I'd replace it with a Bradford-White water heater.

Old 02-06-19, 11:23 PM
This guy had an interesting solution to the goofy Honeywell gas valve problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjDjl-PpJv8

It's a little wordy, but what he did was pull the pcb from the gas valve and covered all the soldered connections on the back with tin foil for a few seconds. That apparently reset the fault, at least in his case.

Old 02-11-19, 08:08 PM
Great service this time

I called the company again regarding the gas valve being out. Since it is the 3rd issue we have had and it still has 5-6 yrs left on warranty, they over nighted us a new gas valve for free. It was not hard to put on.
And the company that now owns the Whirlpool water heater is AO Smith.
At least they we decent this time.

Old 02-12-19, 07:27 AM
And the company that now owns the Whirlpool water heater is AO Smith.
Not exactly. There is no Whirlpool water heater company and never has been. Read post #12 again.

Theses natural gas units were manufactured by American Water Heater under license to use the Whirlpool name and all of the natural gas units have been trouble prone.
All the natural gas fired water heaters manufactured by American Water Heater since the FVIR technology has been required have been trouble prone including Whirlpool, American , US Craftmaster and a couple more brands. AO Smith acquired American Water Heater after all these problems and has been trying to resolve them and retain the company as a lower cost manufacturer.

Old 03-04-20, 07:02 AM
M
Concerning the HONEYWELL'S thermostat reset, GAS must be OFF when performing reset process. As soon as you hear unit attempting to light turn gas back on.

Old 03-04-20, 04:35 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums and thanks for the additional information.

In that you tube video.... the guy covered the entire board with tinfoil. That can be dangerous as static can blow that board out. In the picture the part with the yellow arrow is a storage capacitor. That's the only part that needs to be shorted. This text and picture are here for entertainment value only. I'm not endorsing you try it yourself.

Name:  whirlpool board.JPG
Views: 1777
Size:  42.2 KB

I can see by the page views that this is certainly a hot topic. All threads remain in our searchable archives. If you have further questions on this topic.... feel free to start a new thread and reference this one.

ON EDIT:
Mike-E replied in a different thread on an alternative way of resetting the board.
That thread can be found
...... HERE.

Last edited by PJmax; 03-31-20 at 10:51 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: