water heater sizing

Old 11-14-17, 04:44 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
water heater sizing

I have a 40 gallon natural gas water heater and it is starting to give me problems. I see there is a 50 gallon natural gas water heater on sale and was wondering if it costs more to run a 50 gallon than a 40 gallon. the energy rating on both is .58 . we use about 150 gallons of water a day. there are only 2 people in the house. thanks

frank

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-17, 04:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 90 Posts
We used to have a 52 gallon water heater and when it was time to replace it [and the kids were all gone] I bought 40 gallon unit [same brand] I've not really noticed any difference in the power bill even though the new water heater is more efficient. I'd base the decision more on whether or not you currently have enough hot water.

Old 11-14-17, 05:08 AM
The lion's share of the cost of a water heater comes from heating up the water you are using, not the from the heat loss of the tank. The increase in heat loss of a 50 gallon compared to a 40 gallon would not be the full 25% and that is 25% of a very small amount.

Determine the best size for your needs and I doubt you will see any cost difference from either choice.

Also, depending on where you live, 1/2 the year during the cool months, that marginal amount of heat loss is not really lost but used to heat up your house.

Old 11-15-17, 03:05 AM
thanks for the good advice

frank

Old 11-15-17, 04:02 AM
Received 51 Votes on 50 Posts
The size of the tank does not have a lot to do with the amount of readily available hot water. Recovery time and time of usage is the biggest problem. Long showers and washing machine usage are the biggest culprit for lose of hot water. My 50 gal tank is 18 years old and I've noticed a decrease in efficiency, but it does not leak and we take 10 minute showers and my wife uses cold or luke warm water for wash although she may use the machine nearly everyday. I plan on getting another 50 gal tank but that is only because possible resale of the home is enhanced by the bigger size (not that I plan to move).