Whirlpool water heater: will not light up

Old 01-20-18, 12:06 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool water heater: will not light up

hello, maybe someone can help...
whirlpool gas water Heater Pilot Light Will Not Light Up. I took everything apart and clean it. The Igniter works, no clogged, replaced the thermocouple. Try everything already nothing is working.

Old 01-20-18, 12:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,053 Upvotes on 3,636 Posts
The thermocouple only holds the gas valve open once the pilot is lit.
That's a spark igniter and you aren't getting any flame at all ?
Can you post the model number of the heater.

Old 01-20-18, 12:21 PM
S
no flame at all ... when i took the burner assembly out I tested the spark igniter and it works fine.

FG1J5040T3NV

Old 01-20-18, 12:38 PM
S
FG1J5040T3NV

Old 01-20-18, 12:54 PM
Group Moderator
Does yours have the the thermal protector mounted in the same plate that holds the burner in ?
It would be connected by two push-on wire connectors.

On edit: I don't see the switch I'm asking about.
This is the newer replacement that comes with the thermal safety switch. I'm still looking for info on yours.

sears parts direct/part-number/6910581/0042/159.html

Old 01-20-18, 12:59 PM
S
no it don't have a thermal protector at all.

Old 01-20-18, 01:21 PM
Group Moderator
It has to have something. My AO Smith has an overheat inside by the burner. It shuts down the system at 190C or thereabouts. Mike... the plumbing pro.... would know but I haven't seen him on in a few days. I'll keep checking.

Does your water act like these.....
doityourself/446990-pilot-light-will-not-stay-lit-when-water-hot-2.html

Old 01-20-18, 01:58 PM
S
no its not that, okay thanks.....I'm just not sure what it is, do u know where i can buy a whole new door kit assembly replacement?

Last edited by SoildSnake; 01-20-18 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-20-18, 06:52 PM
S
got a new water heater burner assembly from Lowes....got the water heater up and running again....question, do the pilot keep on burning at the same time as the burner is going? please see pic.

Old 01-21-18, 02:39 PM
S
pilot light is lit but burner off

I just changed out the whole burner assembly to the hot water heater...pick one up from Lowes.

The pilot light is lit but the burner is out after an hour...also it only starts up on the highest setting. Is it suppose to automatically shut off when water reach the hot temperature?
Anyone know what cause the issue?

Hot Water heater Model # FG1J5040T3NV

Last edited by SoildSnake; 01-21-18 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-21-18, 06:20 PM
A
Received 285 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Yes it should shut off when the tankful of water is up to temperature.

Your heater may be fast enough that the burner can be done in less than an hour.

Usually you should not turn the dial all the way up and leave it there.

Sometimes the thermostatic control gets sluggish with age. You probably have this problem if the water is not as hot as it should be and you turn the dial up several notches and the burner starts and you turn the dial back to where it was and the burner keeps going for more than ten minutes.

Then the next time it happens turn the dial all the way down, then slowly turn the dial all the way up, then slowly turn the dial back to where you started. If this does not fix the problem then you may need a new control box (or a new water heater).

Old 01-21-18, 06:57 PM
Group Moderator
I combined your two threads.

Originally you couldn't get the pilot lit at all. Now you have to turn the temperature all the way up for the burner to even light ? That's not right.

Old 01-22-18, 01:08 PM
The thermocouple is a pilot proving device , it creates a small electrical voltage (30 millivolts) which keeps the pilot valve open via a small electromagnet in the gas valve, after the red pilot button has been manually depressed by you for 30-60 seconds after the plot light is established.

Just as a big electromagnet picks up metal in a scrapyard when it is electrically energized so does the electromagnet keep the pilot valve open.
The pilot valve is in series with the main gas valve thus if the pilot valve is closed it blocks the main valve from being able to flow gas to the burner assembly, this is for safety.

Often times when the thermocouple is replaced by a homeowner they put the entire thermocouple end in the pilot flame, some even crank up the pilot flame thinking if they bake the thermocouple it will put out max power, this is opposite of what happens in reality.
The end of the thermocouple has 2 dissimilar metals inside the end,when a temperature differential exists across the end of the thermocouple it will create 30 MV of electrical power, however if the entire end of the thermocouple is in the pilot flame it no longer experiences a temperature differential across the thermocouple and stops making power, the natural thinking is to bake the entire end and make the most power but that is opposite of what happens, just the tip of the thermocouple should impinge the pilot flame this way the nase is cooler than the tip and the 30 MV of power is able to be created .
If you attempt to light the pilot manually while depressing the red pilot valve button and the pilot flame will not light, it is typically because the gas has not purged enough to reach the pilot assembly, as the pilot has a tiny orifice it vents a small amount of gas and can take several minutes of depressing the pilot valve button to purge the air out and get gas to the pilot assembly, you can purge the gas line faster by loosening it as it enters the gas valve and let the gas escape until you emll it strongly then re attach the gas line, same thing with the small pilot valves tubing, remove it from the gas valve and depress the red pilot button on the gas valve to see if gas exits, if it does re attach the pilot tubing after you try blowing through it to insure the pilot orifice is not plugged, ream it with a small drill bit or wire to insure its open, then when you depress the pilot valve button gas will be coming out and will ignite by the piezo ignitor as you have on your unit, I have had those type spark ignitors fail to light a good pilot and always try using a flame , either a long fireplace match stick or flame n aim lighter, the piezo type igniters will often fail to light a pilot when a flame will.
If after 60 seconds of depressing the red pilot valve button on the gas valve and the pilot flame dies as soon as you let go of the depressed pilot button, then the electromagnet in the gas valve is bad and a new gas valve is indicated.
Replacing a water heater gas valve can be extremely difficult as the threads are typically rusted, if the water heater is very old the time left before it starts to leak may not be far off, in my experience if the gas valve is bad on a 5-10 yr old water heater it is best and easiest to replace the water heater.

Old 01-22-18, 04:38 PM
S
thanks guys! the water heater seem to be putting out hot water now. I replaced the burner assembly and it seem to fixed the issue I was having.

Old 01-24-18, 07:16 AM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
I'd start saving up for a new water heater. There are some very good and solid reasons that Lowes no longer sells Whirlpool branded water heaters. Whirlpool got a huge black eye over these water heaters although they never manufactured them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: