Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Water Heaters
Reload this Page >

Expansion Tank location...could it be too close to the exhaust ducting?

Old 02-11-18, 12:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Folks:

My 50 gallon tank died today. Was replacing it and noticed the previous expansion tank was of insufficient size for a 50 and the PSI I have running (50 psi). So I bought a 5 gallon that is more adequate for the measurements.

My concern is my new expansion tank runs about 1/4 an inch from the exhaust duct a few feet from the tank. Also, the hot side shark bite hose nearly touches the exhaust vent. See photos.

My two questions are:

1) Would the proximity of the hot side hose to exhaust vent be a code violation and/or danger?
2) Would the proximity of the expansion tank to the exhaust vent be either a code and/or a danger as well?

Note that after my heater ran for 1 hour on its initial startup, I checked the expansion tank several times near the exhaust ducting and I didn't notice a difference in temperature, thus I'm guessing its just fine.

Thoughts?

TKH

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-18, 02:04 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
In my opinion that IS a code violation because it is a single wall vent. Code calls for a four inch separation from any flammable surface for single wall vent. Now it is possible that neither the hose nor the tank could be considered as a "flammable surface" but I personally think it would be better if there was a larger air space.

Remember, my opinion is as valuable as last week's newspaper. Others may have different opinions.

Old 02-11-18, 07:02 AM
Received 144 Votes on 133 Posts
My first concern is the tank size itself, I have had, and built many homes with wells and never had a tank that small with the exception of my current system but it is a variable pump system for my GEO thermal. If you had a 50gal tank how did you figure resizing to a 5 gal was correct?

And to put it mildly the installation just doesn't look right, tank hanging from the ceiling, fittings touching vents, vents running along equipment.

It may/may not be code but it looks questionable!

Old 03-02-18, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
T&P Valve Relocation -- Dangerous

Moving the T&P valve out of the tank reduces its ability to protect the tank, house, etc. I can't imagine and inspector approving this.