On new install, removed one heat trap before I figured it out

Old 02-12-18, 07:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
On new install, removed one heat trap before I figured it out

Folks:

Like most, learn as you go....so forgive me for making the mistake.

I removed the cold side heat trap on a 2017 heater. Would folks here recommend I:

1) Contact the manufacture to see if they have a replacement and install.
2) Buy a better quality after market one and install (ball vs. rubber flapper that was on the OEM unit).
3) Leave it as is. The energy savings is negligible.

I honestly don't know if cold side is as or more important as hot side. I do have both pipes insulated 3 feet beyond the heater.

Thoughts?

TKH

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-18, 07:25 AM
What is a heat trap ?? Are you talking about a valve ?

Old 02-12-18, 07:27 AM
On modern units it is a small rubber valve assembly inserted down the hot and cold side. They have small rubber flappers (2 I believe) as part of their assembly, just at the nipple end of the heater.

Old 08-07-19, 04:58 PM
I removed my heat traps on my water heater. I spoke to Rheem and they said it would be ok to do so, and it wouldn’t affect the warranty. I removed it by recommendation, because I have an aquatherm unit by first co. for my a/c and heating for my house and it constant caused my T&p to release water out the drain pipe.

Old 08-08-19, 06:41 AM
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
If the T&P (relief valve) keeps tripping, usually that means that you need an expansion tank or the expansion tank already there needs repressurization or replacement.

The heat trap reduces tiny eddy currents carrying hot water up either the cold water inlet and/or the hot water outlet pipe and cooling off and sinking back down the same pipe rinse and repeat.

Old 08-09-19, 09:25 AM
Received 22 Votes on 17 Posts
"I removed the cold side heat trap on a 2017 heater."

I'd just put it back in. The heat traps are necessary for various manufacturers to meet the newest energy standards. You never mentioned the brand name of the water heater, but my Bradford-White unit has them too and I can tell a difference when I first turn on hot water at the bathroom vanity first thing in the morning. Used to be I had hot water immediately, but now I have to wait a few seconds. That tells me that with older units heat will migrate up both the cold inlet and hot outlet pipes wasting energy.

Old 08-09-19, 09:39 AM
I have a newly installed expansion tank. And this issue has happened pre and post expansion tank installment. I will keep and eye out and if T&P spews again, I will then try repressurization. My water heater is new (Jan 2019 by warranty), my last one prior to that only lasted 2 years with Rheem. It was bad, ended up leaking and not repairable. Even though heat traps were removed 2 days ago and I will not save on energy, it was recommended by first co. who makes aquatherm units. Wish me luck. It has been a struggle. No leaking as of yet.