Plumber today said may need a new coil in oil boiler?

Old 04-05-18, 08:33 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Plumber today said may need a new coil in oil boiler?

Hi.

I asked the plumber who came to house to hook up a shut off valve under a sink about my hot water not staying hot when running tub at more than a trickle or so for very long. He quickly opened something and looked at a digital panel on my Peerless oil burner in the basement and said that someone "had turned stuff up pretty high to most likely compensate for a corroded or gummed up coil (or something similar)". He said it would be "$1250 to fix it".

Any ideas. Is he right about the coil? Should I get second and third opinions?

I get hot water, but it's not as hot as I'd like it to be and you can run the shower on full blast and not even feel like you have to turn the cold on at all, so I assume it could be hotter.

Old 04-05-18, 09:52 PM
D
Received 105 Upvotes on 99 Posts
Inadequate hot water from tankless coils is common problem.

There may be ways your current system can be improved. Usually they do not "gum up"

Would get opinions from several professionals.

Best approach is to put in separate hot water heater/tank. As a benchmark get a price from Home Depot or Sears. May be less than quote for fixing coil.

Old 04-06-18, 03:41 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Does anyone still provide an "acid Treatment" to dissolve the mineral buildup inside a tankless coil ?

Old 04-06-18, 04:35 AM
S
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Another thing to consider is that with the coil, your boiler has to stay hot all year long just in case you need some hot water. Steve

Old 04-06-18, 08:22 AM
A
Received 285 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Yes it is possible that the coil is gummed up (has arteriosclerosis with lime) which can cause the water at the faucet to be cooler when the water is turned on high.

You will need to do more tests before a second opinion will be useful.

There could be a separate zone for the hot water and if you get better hot water when a heating zone is calling for heat then a zone problem could be the case.

There could be an anti-scalding subsystem that is commingling too much cold water with the hot water before it gets to your shower.

Your shower may have a restrictor (typically a red plastic insert) that makes the maximum shower flow much less than the maximum direct to tub flow, the latter is high enough to cause the water to cool down.

Old 04-06-18, 08:53 AM
B
Does it make a difference that this is a very "simple" 1971 ranch house that only has 4 rooms and is 900 sf?

I mean with the "zone" thing and all. My house is so small, that I doubt I have zones and all that stuff. For example, this house doesn't have hvac or anything fancy either.

Old 04-06-18, 10:18 AM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
I doubt your coil is gummed up, but most likely is full of mineral deposits and scale. Cleaning of those coils is a maintenance issue and many times must be cleaned with acid. Considering you are firing the boiler year round with oil, It would probably be cheaper to abandon the coil and install an electric water heater.

Old 04-06-18, 11:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,050 Upvotes on 3,633 Posts
Corrosion is pretty common in those coils.... especially based on the hardness of the water. You should find several coil cleaning companies in areas where oil is heavily used. Get a quote on a coil cleaning.

Old 04-06-18, 08:52 PM
B
Thanks everyone. Maybe i should just call the guy that usually services the boiler??

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: