Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Water Heaters
Reload this Page >

Is it cheaper to operate an indirect water heater versus a tankless coil?

Old 04-06-18, 09:19 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi.

I have an oil fired Peerless oil burner and get hot water via a tankless coil. If I were to get a separate hot water heater would the operation cost cost me more than I'm spending now just using oil and my Peerless boiler?

I mean, would I have to spend more money per year to have a separate water heater?

Would we save on oil that we use for heat, since we're using the water heater for hot water?

I just read that "for homes that use less than 40 gallons of hot water a day tankless are usually the more efficient way to go". I would say I easily use less than 40 gal. day most days. I do like taking a hot bath every few days though.

Old 04-08-18, 05:36 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 289 Upvotes on 264 Posts
The main disadvantage of using your home heating boiler to produce domestic hot water is that the typical boiler loses heat to the basement in summer and, if there are eddy currents within the heating pipes, loses heat in the summer into the radiators.

A gas or oil stand alone water heater is usually better insulated so it loses less heat to the basement compared with a boiler. Both kinds lose heat out the flue unless there is a modern sophisticated mechanism (found on more expensive models) to reduce that loss.

You may be able to use insulation blankets to reduce heat loss from your boiler into the basement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: