Connecting water heater vent pipe to furnace vent pipe

Old 04-19-18, 06:34 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Connecting water heater vent pipe to furnace vent pipe

Can I connect my water heater venting pipe (electric blower so need a pvc pipe) to my furnace pvc pipe? If not, how can I connect my water heater pvc vent pipe to my chimney pipe (believe it's a thin galvanized might be aluminum). And I was told I am to install a stainless steel pipe inside my chimney as per new law here in Quebec Canada, if so, how do I connect my PVC to that?

Old 04-19-18, 07:11 AM
R
OK as per documents of the water heater I can't connect it to the furnace vent. Is there a way to have the pvc pipe go inside the chimney? My chimney is not used for anything else at this point in time.

Old 04-19-18, 10:05 AM
R
On another note how far from my furnace inlet can I place my water heater vent? I noticed that the furnace needs 6" between inlet and vent but my installer placed them way further than that (several feet away from one another).

I'm guessing both vents can be placed one beside the other (furnace vent and water heater vent)...

Old 04-19-18, 03:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
You cannot connect two direct vent gas appliances to a common vent pipe. As far as I know.... you cannot use one stainless vent pipe up a chimney for two direct gas appliances either.

Direct vent exhaust lines can exit next to each other. It's the fresh air in that needs to be away from the exhaust.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: