bradford power vent: pressure switch or blower temp switch open

Old 04-17-18, 03:19 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bradford power vent: pressure switch or blower temp switch open

My water heater is giving me an error code. 3 flashes follow by a 3 second pause. According to a manual this means : Pressure switch or blower temp. switch not working -open position.

I took the power vent casing off. Removed the pressure switch. Tested continuity with my multi-meter. Nothing. Then I gently sucked in the tub and got continuity with my multi meter (yeah no very scientific but).

I put my multimeter on the blower temp switch and it is getting continuity.

When I turn on the control unit for the blower (at the bottom where the led light is) the system tries to reset itself and then immediately goes into this error code. I do not hear a blower start up.

I am frustrated because I thought I could figure this out but the unit seems OK based on the error code I am getting. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-18, 03:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 245 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

On a call for heat.... the draft inducer blower should start immediately. If that is not happening you need to check for 120vac to the blower motor when it should be running. That will determine if it's a blower or control board problem.

Old 04-18-18, 04:54 AM
Pjmax, thank you for replying back to me.

I tried following the service manual. This is page 20 on the manual below. I tried to cut and past a picture but the forum will not let me.

http://www.bradfordwhite.com/sites/d...ure/45960A.pdf

Anyway according to the checklist I was to try to find 115v between the green wire (ground) and the blue wire. I did not. I tried a second time after turning off and on the control valve to call for heat. I did not get a reading.

It is a little tricky connecting my probes to where the wires are attached I was worried I did not do it correctly.

I had ordered a new blower because I did not want my family to be without hot water for very long. I could not find locally so I ordered from amazon.

According to the checklist the problem is with the gas control. This is not something I feel comfortable doing myself so I plan to call in a pro.

Any other advice? Thank you in advance.

Old 04-19-18, 02:47 PM
I followed the service manual diagnostics guide and it is indicating the gas control unit is faulty. I am not comfortable working with natural gas so I am calling in a pro.

Any other suggestions before the pro gets here? Thank you in advance.