Help selecting the replacement Bradford White gas water heater

Old 05-17-18, 09:14 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Help selecting the replacement Bradford White gas water heater

Hi,

I own a 9-10 years old water heater located in the mechanical room at garage height (lower than the basement) in a town house. There is a drain directly next to the water heater.

Brand: Bradford White
Model: m1tw50s6fbn

I had 2 neighbors (almost identical houses) that incurred some sort of problem with their water heater (although I really don't know the details... ) and one other neighbor who decided to pre-emptively replace his water heater.

My approach is usually to not replace something before it brakes, especially since the consequences of a leakage would be minimal (the gypsum in the mechanical room probably... but not much else I suppose).

I will probably start by flushing the water (something I have not done in the past 10 years...I now realize I may have been supposed to do so) as described here and see if there is some brown water from rust or sediments. If not, I'll sit on it and wait. My water currently works pretty well.

However, out of curiosity I want to Home Depot to have an idea of how much a replacement cost. Although they didn't have any 50 gallons gas models (and I didn't know about power vent vs reg vs direct vent at the time), their 40 gallons most expensive model was around 650CAD, without installation (I have no idea if this was truly compatible with my installation).

I then called the plumber who installed my gas BBQ to see how much HE would charge, and he came back at 1650CAD for the heater and the installation. I was shocked by the 1000$ difference and wondered if that was only for the installation but the guy told me:
1- There are different types of water heaters (PV, DV, REG, etc.)
2- If you purchase something at Home Depot, he will not install it. He said other may do it, but he only installs water heaters that he sells.
3- He said: If you don't have any problems, do not replace the water heater for the moment.

I'm wondering:
1- Is this typical that plumber do not want to install appliance that they do not sell? Is this just a matter of profits or there is a difference between "quality" between what is sold in hardware store and what professionals sell?

2- Since my model is discontinued, what would be the replacement for my Bradford White m1tw50s6fbn heater? Looking at the Bradford and White I can't understand the difference between the various models (vent, power vent, fan assist, high input, etc.).

3- What should I look (and lookout) for when buying a new water heater? Apart from warranty I suppose?

Any other suggestion/advice?

Thanks

Thanks

Old 05-24-18, 10:56 AM
Received 114 Votes on 101 Posts
Is this typical that plumber do not want to install appliance that they do not sell?

Yes, pretty typical. Do buy bacon and eggs and take them to your local restaurant to be prepared for your breakfast?

Since my model is discontinued, what would be the replacement for my Bradford White m1tw50s6fbn heater?

I lean toward Bradford-White and buy the equivalent to what I already have in most cases. Whether you have an atmospheric vent, power vent or anything else, most box stores selling water heaters will help you figure out what you need as long as you give them the basic information. Hiring a professional, reputable and licensed plumbing contractor is another way to get the answers you are looking for, but most will expect you to buy the heater from them.

Old 05-24-18, 12:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,610 Votes on 1,482 Posts
Many condo and townhouse associations have a mandatory replacement clause in the association agreement. At my sisters association it is every eight years. Now.... this may only pertain to multi floor units where if your water heater leaked it could cause damage to another housing unit.

How does your current water heater vent ?
Into a chimney with metal duct or thru the wall with PVC pipe ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: