AO Smith FPSH 75 Water Heater

Old 05-24-18, 12:36 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AO Smith FPSH 75 Water Heater

Hi,

My water heater stopped working last week. I managed to get a tank of hot water out of it on Saturday but nothing since then. I called a local plumber and he said to replace it, that it would cost me as much to have him diagnose it, as it would for him to install a new one ($500 + the new unit). Having just paid my first half property taxes and having nothing left in reserve, and also having an RV with hot water in it, I have postponed making a decision. It is a 2004 - 75 gallon propane gas model with a power vent. I have had zero problems with it since I bought the house in 2009. I have lived by myself or with only one other person and it has been lightly used. I found a video on line that showed how to clean the flame sensor and I did that on Monday night, but sadly, it didn't work. I also cleaned a lot of rust scraps off of the hot surface ignitor by blowing on them and using a soft brush. Didn't touch it with my hands as the video said not to. It is showing the lockout code - green and then A, B. I took a picture of this wiring harness, as the cover was separated. Code this be my problem? If you suggest buying a new one, then what kind should I buy that won't result in revising the piping?

Thank you,

Ginny

Attached Images  
Old 05-24-18, 12:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I see the connector in the picture but don't see a problem with it. Looks like the two white wires are the igniter and the single wire is the sensor. That black covering over it is a heat shield.

Post the full model number off the label so I look into it further.

Old 05-24-18, 02:47 PM
O
I'll have to take another picture when I get home. The wiring is probably fine then. When I unplug the water heater and plug it back in again, it does fire up but then goes out again right away. It tries about three times and then the lockout code comes up. I could try it again? It wasn't that easy to sand. Maybe get some steel wool at the store tonight and try to do a better job. When I read about this issue, it seemed like people had to do this several times a year. I guess I am lucky that mine made it 15 years without every going out.

Old 05-25-18, 10:26 AM
O
Here is a photo of the ignitor and plate that I pulled out. The plate looks a little rusty. The numbers on the connector are 768A-414 and 195128-000.

Ginny

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: