Hot water stopped for a week and a half

Old 11-26-18, 09:01 AM
Hot water stopped for a week and a half

I had a new electric hot water heater installed early November 2017. My hot water stopped working on November 17, 2018. Had Roto Rooter come in and look at it, they said the elements needed to be replaced. I have been fighting with the manufacturer Bradford White and Roto Rooter since. Bradford White insists the elements need to be taken to the wholesale distributor by Roto Rooter and exchanged for new ones since they are under warranty. Roto Rooter says they do not do that I need to have Bradford White ship the new elements to me. Bradford White said they do not ship parts to customers. Neither one is budging meanwhile I did not have hot water for over two weeks. Roto Rooter said If I wanted I could have a new hot water heater installed at my own expense???? I paid $1500 a year ago for a new one. Then this morning, the hot water was available again, almost a week and a half after it stopped completely. Any suggestions as to what the issue is?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-18, 11:47 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Under a year old..... very doubtful it's an element problem and when the hot water came back on it confirmed that. Typically just the bottom element goes bad and you get reduced hot water.

So.... that tells us the Roto Rooter just made an assumption without checking anything.
To have no hot water at all it would have to be a complete loss of AC power OR a defective upper thermostat OR a defective upper element only.

I've never seen a water heater stop for a week and then just start again.
If it goes out again.... a little more diagnosis needs to be done.

Old 11-27-18, 08:19 PM
Bradford White insists the elements need to be taken to the wholesale distributor by Roto Rooter and exchanged for new ones since they are under warranty. Roto Rooter says they do not do that I need to have Bradford White ship the new elements to me. Bradford White said they do not ship parts to customers. Neither one is budging meanwhile I did not have hot water for over two weeks.

I've never seen a water heater stop for a week and then just start again.
If it goes out again.... a little more diagnosis needs to be done.

This is a great example of why when needing a plumber you should call a reputable plumber. I do know of a Roto Rooter franchise that actually has a plumber (a plumber meaning one plumber) on staff, but most only employ drain cleaners. You evidently got a drain cleaner.

Old 12-03-18, 03:20 AM
Thank you so much for your responses. I will definitely take your advice and look for a competent plumber.

Old 12-03-18, 04:52 AM
Or a hot water heater tech. Our gas company has an almost monopoly on furnace and hot water heater servicing. The hot water heater service is provided by techs, not plumbers, however they have never steered us wrong and just look at water heaters all day.

Old 12-04-18, 05:35 AM
I would have an electrician check the wire connections from the breaker to the electric heater. A poor connection could cause intermittent operation.