ECO TEMP i12 LP tankless water heater Install

Old 12-31-18, 07:34 AM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ECO TEMP i12 LP tankless water heater Install

First off I guess Happy New Year everyone!

I just installed an ECO TEMP i12 LP Tankless hot water heater. My 9 year old Bosch Aquastar started having intermittent issues and I replaced a lot of the little parts on it and it got to the point where I just decided to replace it. The Bosch unit was 110k BTU. The new unit is 80K BTU. This unit services a 1 bedroom apartment that has 1 bathroom with a shower/tub and a sink. Downstairs it has a kitchen faucet.

So after getting it installed, it doesnt seem to be giving out the advertised degree heat rise. There is a flow rate displayed on the front of the unit as well as the output temp. Advertised heat rise is 65 degree rise at 2.3 GPM (74,750 BTU). I am getting a 54 degree rise at 2.3 gallons per minute (62,100 BTU). The incoming water is 48 degrees. I have had to restrict the water so that when the shower is on, it is only pulling 1.7 GPM. This seems to be a good balance between flow and temperature. My worry is if the inlet water temp goes down to something like 40 F, then this may not be hot enough.

My initial thought that I used too small of a flexible line going from the main gas line to the unit. So I changed it out to a 5/8 OD 1/2" id 36" Flex line. There was no difference.

So I wanted to see if anyone here has any thoughts before I call the manufacturer.
My main gas line from the tank does the following:

From the tank there is one copper tube coming off, for like 10" then splits. One side goes to copper tubing that feeds a 35K btu direct vent space heater. The other side has copper tubing for about a foot, then transitions to 1/2" iron pipe. The iron pipe is 50ft to the unit. There are 7 90 degree elbows so I think that makes the effective length 60 feet. Then there is the 36" 1/2" id flexible hose at the end. Looking at the charts it seems like this should work for the 80k BTU unit. What I am not sure about is if the lines coming off of the tank would be causing some sort of restriction? I never had any issues with the old 110k btu Aquastar unit, the tenants never complained of not having enough hot water over the 8 or so years that we have had that unit in place.

What do you guys think? What should I check before calling the manufacturer?I do have a fieldpiece ADMN2, can I check the pressure at the regulator inside the unit with this?

Thanks!

Old 12-31-18, 05:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,972 Upvotes on 3,565 Posts
Thread moved to water heater forum.

You said "from tank". What tank...... propane ?
Propane is completely different from natural gas.

This is a natural gas chart. At 50' of 1/2" pipe you would get only 46kbtu. Far under what you need.

Name:  ngf.JPG
Views: 345
Size:  22.4 KB

Old 12-31-18, 06:34 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
PJ Max,

Thanks for the reply. This is an LP Tankless heater. So the tank is LP, I think it is a 420 lb tank. Yes the NG pipe length charts are much lower on a length/btu basis. I was looking at this chart here

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: