Not enough hot water

Old 01-25-19, 12:37 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Not enough hot water

Recently moved into my first house - it's 12 years old, seems well made.

There is a 40 (181L) gallon water heater which was installed this past August. I'm finding that I don't have "enough" hot water.

Taking a shower, I find that water temperature starts to drop after about 20 minutes, and I have to turn up the temperature handle. Within another 5 minutes or so the hot water ends altogether. There's no water restrictor on this shower head, and I'm estimating it's using around 8L / minute, so the runtime seems about right.

The bigger issue is that I cannot fill up a single bathtub with warm water. The bathtub is larger than average (80L?), so maybe in the 100-120L range, but certainly nowhere close to 180L. At best, I can get about half the bathtub filled up with comfortable-level water temperature before the hot water ends altogether.

I just went down to the utility room and looked at the water heater. The temperature knob has options of Low - Hot - A - B - C - Very hot. It was set on "Hot," and as an experiment, I've just increased it to the "A" mark. Thinking that if the water is hotter to begin with, I'll need less of it (will be able to substitute more cold water), and thus I'll have more "hot water time." Any issues with this approach?

Any other suggestions?

Old 01-25-19, 12:47 PM
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Gas or electric? Could be a bad heating element, sediment buildup or rust.If it's original to the house, it's time to replace it 'cause you are on borrowed time.

Old 01-25-19, 01:39 PM
It's a gas powered unit, and only about half a year old.

Old 01-25-19, 02:04 PM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
There should be an access panel on the side that you can remove and adjust the thermostat. I believe they are usually set to 120F or so. I had the same issue and bumped mine up to 140. Never have a problem with hot water. I just have to ask....a 25 minute shower???

Old 01-25-19, 02:09 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
I don't recall ever having a 20 minute shower so don't have anything to compare to in that regard, but I'm thinking that even a top of the line water efficient showerhead is going to be in the vicinity of 2 gallons a minute, so at 20 minutes you've used all of the hot water that you had to start with. And assuming something like an hour recovery time it's going to still be about 40 minutes from the time you use the last of the first batch until the resupplied water reaches temperature. I don't know, just tossing this out in case it might prompt someone with more smarts to chime in.

Old 01-25-19, 04:06 PM
Received 729 Upvotes on 644 Posts
I have to agree with the others that a 20 min shower is excessive. However, that does not explain why you can't fill the tub up with hot water to about 1/3 the depth.

Old 01-25-19, 04:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,155 Upvotes on 3,731 Posts
Your water heater sounds like it's working perfectly normal. You're in Canada. You need to consider the temperature of the incoming water. The colder the incoming water the less hot water delivery.

Raising the temperature should help. If you have children..... check the hot water with a thermometer. Set too high can be a scald hazard.

Old 01-25-19, 04:47 PM
I did crank up the temperature to about 140F earlier today. Will see how that plays out.

No children here, but that risk is definitely worth keeping in mind. I'll think about it and consider how the water temp performs now.

And yes, incoming water temperature will be quite cold this time of year.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: