Elec HWH Heater Replace & Install

Old 01-26-19, 09:15 AM
Elec HWH Heater Replace & Install

Hello,

I have a question about an older electric HWH that I am going to replace. FYI it's currently not up to code because it does not have an expansion tank. I plan to install one when I pull the old tank out. However, I am not sure about a particular valve that is upstream of the cold water shut off. It looks like an air vent valve but I haven't come across anything online that is similar. See below:

1) what is this valve on the cold water inlet to the HWH?

2) is this valve necessary when I plan to install an expansion tank with the new HWH (can I remove this valve)?

3) does anyone recommend against using properly rated shark bite quick connect hoses for the hot and cold water lines and the T&P relief valve? The T&P relief valve comes with the tank on the side pointed down. I am considering using a shark bite male adapter (rated 200'F) to connect to the T&P relief valve and attach a copper tube to discharge to the ground (6" above according to code). So I basically plan to do no soldering for any connections to the HWH.

thanks for any input

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-19, 01:05 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I'm not the pro here...... just checking in. I was looking at Beacon valves and the only thing I found that looked close was a tempering valve but that would require a connection to three pipes. Are there three pipes connected to that valve ?

Old 01-26-19, 01:35 PM
No there there are no other pipes tied into this valve. It's in line with the cold water shutoff.

Old 01-29-19, 09:53 AM
If no one else has one of those valves I suppose there wouldn't be any harm in removing it?

Old 02-09-19, 02:09 PM
Pressure reduction valve.

Looks like that to me. And likely should be replaced. Shark bites are OK but could get pricey if you need a lot of them. But, still much cheaper than most plumbers would charge. Don't forget to plan on a new expansion tank, even if you don't have one now.