Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Water Heaters
Reload this Page >

Are the holes on a water heater where the gas valve screws in universal?

Old 03-11-19, 11:58 PM

I have a water heater that needs a new gas valve, but no one in town stocks it. I have a spare water heater that isnt being used, and I would like to put the valve from that water heater on the one that isn't working, while I wait for parts.

Are the holes in the water heater where the valve screws in universal? It's a different gas valve, and before I took it off, wanted to make sure it would thread in properly.

The bad water heater is a Rheem XG50T06EC38U1, with a Honeywell Wv8840c1406 gas valve.

The valve I want to use as a replacement is a Rheem AP14270G, on a GE PG40T09AV00 water heater.

Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-19, 01:02 PM
Called manufacturer and they are going to ship a new valve/pilot assembly. People can still answer the question if anyone knows.

Old 03-12-19, 01:08 PM
Group Moderator
I'd imagine some heaters would use the same size but there is no guarantee.

Old 03-12-19, 01:34 PM
Size wise I'm sure it would fit, but as far as specifications, and orifice size and gas feed and other things I'm betting not so.

Old 03-12-19, 02:53 PM
Thanks. Yeah, I was going to move the entire system (thermocouple, igniter, sparker) with the valve, so it really just came down to whether or not it would screw into the other water heater. Don't have to worry about it now, though.

Old 03-14-19, 05:05 PM
Got new valve/wiring and burner fires up, but apparently the TRD device in the bottom has busted, because it wont stay lit. Rheem is sending another.

Problem is, when I was troubleshooting it I kept taking the burner assembly in and out, and one of the screws stripped out with it screwed in, and I cant get the burner assembly off.

Hate stripped screws/bolts... usually I cut the head off with an angle grinder, but dont think I can maneuver it in there.

Any tips on how to get this screw out? Take a small drill bit and drill straight through it?

Old 03-14-19, 07:10 PM
Here are some pics... its the one in the upper left corner. It will spin, but it wont back out.

Attached Images   
Old 03-15-19, 03:58 AM
Can you get a thin piece of metal behind the head as you try to screw it out? If not chisel off or cut off then drill out. I would replace with Philips hear screws.

Old 03-15-19, 02:57 PM
Thanks. I got it. I pulled back on it more than I had been doing, while I was unscrewing, and it caught and backed out.

It was this little clip that had stripped out, and wouldn't let the screw back out.

Attached Images