Point of Use/tankless water heater recommendations

Old 03-25-19, 06:43 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Point of Use/tankless water heater recommendations

Hello All,

Can anyone recommend both an electric whole house tankless water heater and point of use tankless water heaters?

I would like to install several point of use tankless water heaters in our home and have 120v available for our vanities, so that would be preferred. I could however upgrade the electrical to 240v if 120v units are worthless?

I would also like to replace our 50ga gas water heater with an electric whole house tankless. That unit will supply hot water for the rest of the house (showers/tubs, etc.)

Any recommendations for affordable but good units would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ralph

Old 03-25-19, 08:49 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Do you have a 400 amp electrical service? Unlikely you do but that is what you would need for all those loads. If only 200 amp you are looking at a couple of thousand dollars for the upgrade.

Why replace a gas with electric. In most areas it will cost at least a third more for electric to warm your water.

Sounds like you need to be thinking circulation pump and keeping your gas water heater.

Old 03-25-19, 01:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,604 Votes on 1,478 Posts
By gas.... can we assume you mean natural gas ?
Natural gas is always the better choice for heating water. They do make tankless gas water heaters but they are not without their problems. They are very dependent on the mineral content in the water.

Old 03-25-19, 04:29 PM
Received 113 Votes on 100 Posts
In most areas it will cost at least a third more for electric to warm your water.

My opinion is that the cost of the electric will be closer to twice as much as gas. My recommendation is to keep the tank type water heater.

Old 03-25-19, 08:32 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the replies!

I apologize but I meant to correct my initial post. I realize I may not have enough power for numerous 240v tankless units as I was poorly describing. I know how to read electrical loads having done so for most of my life.

My real question is how much savings could I expect if I went with a tankless natural gas hot water heater versus our 50ga natural gas hot water heater? Also, will I need to increase the existing venting system?

I still won't rule out an electrical unit(s) though. Yes, gas is typically cheaper but electrical units are quite a bit more efficient and they cost less. Electrical prices are very constant as well while natural gas can fluctuate significantly. So you have to look at several factors before ruling one or the other out.

God Bless,
Ralph

Old 03-25-19, 09:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,604 Votes on 1,478 Posts
Sorry..... I disagree.
Yes.... the gas equipment has a higher up front cost and yes the electric is 100% efficient but I've never found in my area the electric rates to come down low enough to make electric more effective then gas.

A tankless gas water heater typically uses PVC pipe venting thru a side wall.

Old 03-27-19, 06:56 AM
H
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Regarding "how much can I save", IMO not much. My wife and I have a 50 gal, 13 yr old Rheem and in summer when cooking and hot water are the only gas load, our cost is $20/month. Regarding variability of natural gas prices, I think they will be pretty stable given the vast reserves discovered in the past decade.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: