Kettling Gas WH

Old 03-28-19, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Kettling Gas WH

Near 20 y/o water heater (date code Jun 99) in this rental I'm in. RheemGlas Fury 40 gal

Started kettle sounds when firing about 2 months ago. Decided to try a flush (yeah, I know...prob not a great idea...but had no issues) which didn't help and I got no sediment in the filter sock I used. Plenty of HW.

Also noticed some rust "pimples" on the outer casing (?) at the top just below the "lid". They seemed almost moist and smeared when rubbed. Not like it's penetrated through and spraying or anything. Accessible insulation does not appear damp, though some of the spray foam like stuff has discolored like it usually does over time...kind of brownish.

Top connections...supply has some white mineral deposits, but could be from soldering flux/paste? Output has just a bit of rust on exposed nipple threads. Cannot be sure if dielectric nipples were used.

City water, moderately hard (no numerical data).

So...question is...how long is this thing gonna last? We're house shopping right now...but with demand and market conditions...could be a while. Also, lease is coming up end of next month and would hate to hit landlord with a big bill right before that decision. Already dreading what increase may be.

One month? Two? Never had to deal with it since I flushed mine regularly when I owned. Big issue is this thing has no pan and is in garage on a framed and sheet rocked pedestal in a corner of the garage. If it starts leaking at 1AM some night it's going to be a major issue.

Should I start turning off the supply at night or if we will be away for any length of time?

Old 03-28-19, 01:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,477 Votes on 1,365 Posts
Without a yearly flushing the sediment becomes baked on the bottom of the tank and forms an insulator between the burner and the water. That's what make that kettling sound. Unfortunately now you can't flush enough of the sediment out. I've read you can remove the drain valve and use a long screwdriver or something similar to break it up.

Old 03-28-19, 02:02 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 866 Votes on 797 Posts
At 20 years it's past due so it could go at any time but if you are renting then it's the landlord's responsibility. With my tenants it makes no difference when a problem like a water heater dies, we fix it. I would not let your lease term affect when you notify them of a maintenance issue.

Since it's working and not leaking it's not technically a maintenance issue. You can let them know that it's old, but they probably already know that. I do not replace items simply because they are old.

I sometimes travel for extended periods. When we leave I turn off all water to the house and open a faucet to bleed out the water pressure. That way if there is a leak there is nothing to leak out.

Old 03-28-19, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I remember my Dad taking the elements out of an electric unit back when I was growing up and scraping the junk out every year or so.. Amazingly I still have the tea spoon he drilled a hole in and attached to a stick to be able to reach all the way in. How weird is that?

I know it's all on the landlord (and they aren't as "nice" as you PD....not out here. He's absentee anyway.), and I don't think I'm even legally allowed to do it out here, though I could.

Was just curious about anyone's experience with a time frame from noise to failure. Guess it's an "it depends" kinda thing.

Old 03-29-19, 05:20 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 866 Votes on 797 Posts
I have never noticed a correlation between the kettling noise and a water heater dying. In my area kettling begins very early in the heater's life and is just something you have to deal with.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: