Drain on water heater

Old 04-15-19, 07:24 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Drain on water heater

I had a leak at the plastic bottom drain area.It was spraying out from inside the heater Is this removable an is therr a gasket behind it..
its plastic spicket type...
Thanks

Old 04-15-19, 08:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,105 Upvotes on 3,687 Posts
Water spraying out from inside the heater ??
Do you mean spraying out thru the drain valve ?

Those drain valves are replaceable but it normally requires draining the tank although I have changed therm working quickly when some water sloshing won't cause any damage. You MUST turn the WH off and allow the water to cool off before attempting any replacement.

You can replace the plastic valve with a brass one designed for water heaters or use a short 3/4" brass nipple and a 3/4" threaded ball valve.

THIS would be a brass water heater direct replacement type valve. Just one of many brass ones available.

Old 04-15-19, 10:08 PM
T
Water heater was off for days ,along with water pressure to it ..when pressure was back on ,it popped something down there at drain causing spray an gravity took over till I emptied it.
An yes I had to drain it ,no choice with it spraying out from inside the area behind the base,of the drain spickett, area where it connects into heater.main water off -.I just need to see if that piece was leaking where it connects..or why it was spraying out .

Old 04-16-19, 04:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,270 Upvotes on 2,022 Posts
Yes, the first step is for YOU to look for where the leak is located. If the leak is coming from inside the water heater body then you probably need a new heater. If it is leaking from the drain valve that can be easily replaced.

Old 04-16-19, 09:08 AM
T
Would it be a good idea if leak is in drain an i put brass one in,,to look at the elements an flush out tank too?
an what psi should i be getting to it?

Last edited by trotter; 04-16-19 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-16-19, 10:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
You can see what you flush out no matter what the valve is made of. Most water heaters come with a plastic valve but you can install brass if you want.

"an what psi should i be getting to it?"
I don't understand your question? You are not applying pressure to anything. When you open the drain valve water is forced out just like a spigot inside the house.

Old 04-16-19, 12:57 PM
T
Heating elements..not the crud

An psi coming to the heater!!

50 ?

Old 04-16-19, 03:44 PM
P
Group Moderator
Ok, what's that supposed to mean "Heating elements..not the crud"??? Are you asking if you should remove your heating elements and inspect them?

Your water heater does not affect the water pressure and there is no pressure adjustment on your water heater. The water pressure is determined by the water pressure in your home.

Old 04-17-19, 06:38 AM
A
Received 288 Upvotes on 263 Posts
Water flows downhill.

The water heater drain valve is probably the lowest point in the entire water system within your house.

So after the main water supply is shut off, all the water in the hot water pipes upstairs has to come down as well as the water in the heater tank having to drain out.

Or you could say that water still in the water heater tank imparts a positive PSI at the level of the drain valve owing to its weight.

After you have finished the project and the water is turned back on, calculating the difference in PSI on the second floor versus in the basement will be left as an exercise.

You should see water gushing from a hot faucet upstairs for a full minute before turning the water heater heat back on.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-17-19 at 07:09 AM.
Old 04-17-19, 04:45 PM
T
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Its at highest point .1 floor ..
in condo.an ive had to put expansion tanks on another one before so it matters.

45-55 i think if i recal..
i know theres really hogh pressure already too..

Old 04-18-19, 06:24 PM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
A plastic drain valve is a sign of a cheapy water heater. My new Bradford-White water heater had a brass ball valve drain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: