hot water out shower but warm water out tub faucet

Old 05-01-19, 01:57 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hot water out shower but warm water out tub faucet

I installed an EcoSmart Eco24 tank less water heater. The water is hot coming out all faucets and shower head but when running bath water it is just warm. Could the flow be too much for the heater to handle and thats why when switched to shower the water becomes hot its because the shower head restricts it? If that is the cause how can I restrict the flow going to the tub so it can be all hot water?

The graph that they supply says it should put out either 4.34 or 4.97 depending on which color one says Columbus GA is siting on as it is really on the boarder of the orange and red zones.

The house was built back in 1995 and I am assuming the faucets are original to the home. Not sure what the gpm were back then. I know the new unit only requires 1/4 gpm but tops out at around 4-5 gpm based on the chart.

Old 05-02-19, 05:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 973 Votes on 894 Posts
Yes, it is possible you are flowing too much water for the heater to bring up to full temp. Get a bucket of a known volume and time filling it from the tub spout. You can then calculate how much water your tub faucet puts out.

I don't know anything that uses as little as 1/4 gpm. Really restricted shower heads are about 1 1/4 but most flow more. I think the ones in my house are 2 1/2 gpm.

Robbiejames voted this post useful.
Old 05-02-19, 02:57 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
thank you for the reply. i dont think anything uses 1/4 either but that is what is stated on the box the water heater came in. I assume, but will have to calculate the flow, the flow is higher than what the heater can keep up with. last night i opened the hot side a quarter turn and it put out all hot water but once i opened it up more it went to just warm and then when i closed it some it went back hot. I guess this is just part of the learning curve when dealing with the tankless water heater. not a big deal now that i know what is going on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: