Leaking tp valve

Old 07-01-19, 04:11 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaking tp valve

I have a 3 year old electric water heater. Water has been leaking from the tp valve when I try to fill it. The heater is off so I don’t think it’s a thermometer problem. I did replace the tp valve but it didn’t fix the issue. Any ideas are appreciated.

Old 07-01-19, 04:21 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Water has been leaking from the tp valve ...I did replace the tp valve but it didn’t fix the issue.
So just maybe it's doing what it's supposed to do?

https://structuretech1.com/leaking-relief-valve/

Old 07-01-19, 07:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The heater is off and the water is cold or the heater was turned off after it started leaking ?

If the water hasn't been heated then the house water pressure may be too high.
Are you on city water ?
Do you have a PRV (pressure regulator) at the water meter ?

A basic pressure gauge obtained from the home improvement stores can check it.
Most stock several different types. Typically $10 - $15.
Pressure gauge at the depot.

Old 07-01-19, 08:48 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The water heater is off so the water is cold. It’s filling from a holding tank in a trailer so I don’t think it’s a water intake pressure issue. The tank fills up then slowly empty’s from the tp valve even with the heater and the pump off. If I turn everything on the water does heat up but the tank still slowly drains itself. I checked the breaker box all the fuses are good. I opened the tp valve to test it after I put the new one in too.

Old 07-01-19, 09:08 PM
Group Moderator
A T&P valve is spring loaded closed.
You pull the handle for it to open. If the handle isn't pulled..... the valve is bad.

Old 07-04-19, 09:06 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
The tank fills up then slowly empty’s from the tp valve even with the heater and the pump off. If I turn everything on the water does heat up but the tank still slowly drains itself.

I am trying to visualize how the T&P valve could drain the tank when the T&P is located at the top of the tank.

Old 07-04-19, 09:52 AM
Group Moderator
Good question. Maybe some pics would help........... How-to-insert-pictures.

Old 07-04-19, 11:49 AM
A
Received 277 Upvotes on 253 Posts
Do not turn the water heater on until you have cured all leaks and the tank is full of water and you can get water to gush full blast from a hot water faucet upstairs for a full minute.

Pull the tab on the pressure/temperature relief valve out, let a small amount of water out more rapidly, then push the tab back down. Repeat a few times. If water still drips out of the relief valve tube then the relief valve may be defective.

If you have the relief valve close completely some of the time at random, you should drain the tank down below that level, remove the relief valve, and check from the inside end for debris clogging it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: